Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-12-2008, 06:03 PM   #1
Daemon Poster
Default Website Hosting - Help

I need to host a website for a business. I know how to make a website, but don't know how to get it online. I tryed looking up free hosting site, but that would result in the web address being something like www.freeweebs.com/mywebsite, whereas I need it to be www.mywebsite.com. So how can i get it hosted? Or would it be possible to host it myself using an old pc as a server or something like that, if so how? I would prefer this option. If anybody know I would greatly appreciate some help. Thanks in advance.

vaio-fx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 06:49 PM   #2
Daemon Poster
Default Re: Website Hosting - Help

you have to buy the domain name...in your example, you would have to see if www.mywebsite.com (or whatever your looking to call it), was available, and you would buy the domain from someplace like godaddy.com or similar domain selling/web hosting site. then you can also buy a web hosting plan through them. i don't know if you will find any good, reliable, free web hosting out there that would give you your own domain name without having their stuff first like you said.
Antec 300 Case, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 @ 3GHz, Gigabyte GA-EP43-UD3L, PNY 4GB PC6400 800MHz DDR2 RAM, XFX Radeon HD 5550 1GB DDR3 Ram, 1TB Western Digital Black 7200 32MB cache, 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate SP1, Antec Earthwatts 500 Watts
thebigdintx is offline   Reply With Quote