Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 02-25-2014, 12:14 AM   #1
Beta Member

Default Website blocking USB stick?!

Hello all!

Long story short - a ''good friend'' of mine is the I.T. person at work and is being stubborn.

This friend claims that 'to block Facebook from 2 specific computers within our network would be extremely long winded'.

I call B.S.

From my knowledge - you can log into the computer as admin or log into filter server/firewall and immediately block ONE WEBSITE. I'm pretty sure I've seen this done by this friend before.

Guessing that this friend is resorting to ''that's a managerial decision'' as, ''I'm an I.T. control freak and don't want to do anything I don't have to do''. All I.T. people I have met ARE control freaks. I understand, it's ok. I'm one too hehe.

That being said - can I make a USB stick that I put in the back of the computer that BANS Facebook from being used on the computers?

Please help me, this coworker of mine spends all day there. Instead of ratting this coworker out and being whiny - I just want it to end. HELP.

concerned_coworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:51 AM   #2
..m.0,0.m..
Site Team

Default Re: Website blocking USB stick?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by concerned_coworker View Post
From my knowledge - you can log into the computer as admin or log into filter server/firewall and immediately block ONE WEBSITE. I'm pretty sure I've seen this done by this friend before.
Correct, a very simple thing to do.

Quote:
Guessing that this friend is resorting to ''that's a managerial decision''
Doing anything to a company device without prior approval is a gamble. Even more so if he blocks access to web content for specific people. That could easily turn into a harassment case/lawsuit that he is liable in. I wouldn't do it either.

Quote:
can I make a USB stick that I put in the back of the computer that BANS Facebook from being used on the computers?
Yes and No...

It is possible, but the amount of stuff you'd have to do just to block a website? Not only are you opening yourself up to criminal charges and termination from employment, but you'd waste a ton of time on it. Scratch the USB idea...

Quote:
Please help me, this coworker of mine spends all day there. Instead of ratting this coworker out and being whiny - I just want it to end. HELP.
Why bother at all? In my view, that's easy competition. If my co-worker was wasting time all day, then I'd be running circles around him/her from a job efficiency standpoint. If anything, that co-worker is making you look better (granted you're actually being productive).

Also, and don't take this wrong, but if you're not steering the boat, then focus on rowing and let the captain worry about those who aren't. Attacking your co-workers or trying to sabotage their non-productive activities will lead to a short career, or a long and spiteful one.

However, if you just can't stand it and are going to try to block it anyway, then try editing the host file. It's harmless enough and easily fixed.

Here's a walkthrough on editing the host file, and in the example, they even use blocking facebook.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:13 AM   #3
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Website blocking USB stick?!

Sorry CC (your initials )

I can't really help with this

I thought I'd at least tell you this after inviting me to this thread.