Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-06-2004, 07:21 PM   #1
In Runtime

Send a message via AIM to Barrett
Default WD Raptor Hard Drives and gaming

Hey everyone. I was wondering if there was any difference between 2 WD 36k HD's vs. 2 WD 74k HD's besides storage space. Also, do you think I will see a difference in my gaming performance by using the raptors(36's), or even by using a Raid config vs. a 250 g HD or two standard 80g HD's in Raid

80gb Hardrive
nVIDIA GeForce 2 MX 200
CD-RW, DVD
Viewsonic 19" a90F CRT
I have had this rig since December 2001. I'm working on a new gaming machine that will dominate ALL!
Barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 07:33 PM   #2
In Runtime

One more question. Do you think I could get by on one WD 36k Raptor. I would be using the PC for strictly games. This way I could get better Ram. What are your thoughts. Thanks for any help!

80gb Hardrive
nVIDIA GeForce 2 MX 200
CD-RW, DVD
Viewsonic 19" a90F CRT
I have had this rig since December 2001. I'm working on a new gaming machine that will dominate ALL!
Old 07-06-2004, 11:21 PM   #3
BSOD

Send a message via ICQ to bluto
Question

What in the world do you mean? Hard drives have nothing to do with gameing.36k hard drive,woops.What is that ?
Concentrate on Video min 64 mb.And a good sound card.I suggest Sound Blaster.
bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 12:54 AM   #4
In Runtime

SORRY I DIDN"T KNOW THAT BLUTO. So Hd's don't have to do with loading speeds or anything like that. I can have a 80 gig 7,200 Maxtor and still have an AMAZING gaming rig. More input is appreciated!
80gb Hardrive
nVIDIA GeForce 2 MX 200
CD-RW, DVD
Viewsonic 19" a90F CRT
Old 07-08-2004, 10:48 AM   #5
Guru

Send a message via MSN to Lord Kalthorn

Can anybody please tell me about this recent infatuation with the 'Amazing' or 'Ultimate' Gaming 'Rig'? We all know it'll be 'Amazing' for about a month, maybe two if its brought at the right time?

But moving on; depends on how many games you want to use; if its lots of big games then you need a big hard drive to put them all on if its not that many smaller games - then it doesn't matter.
Old 07-08-2004, 05:22 PM   #6
entity512

Default Re: WD Raptor Hard Drives and gaming

well if you want faster access speeds, its better. 36k seems alot innit, 34 revs perminiute or is that just the model name. Cuz a typical hard drive is 7,400rpm i think.
Old 07-08-2004, 06:32 PM   #7
Guru

Nah, he means 34k as in 34,000MB. I'd hope. I think they would only make Hard Drives that fast for Servers; and even then I doubt they do.
Old 07-08-2004, 07:00 PM   #8
In Runtime

I ment storage, I don't know why i put k. I plan on running games like Far Cry, Doom 3, and HL 2. I would probably have 4-5 games installed on my comp at the most. You guys don't think these faster HD's will make a difference? I only considered them because whenever you see a top of the line gaming system they have two 74gb Raptors in RAID. So if I don't go with the raptors, do you guys think I should still use RAID. Any help is greatly appreciated.
80gb Hardrive
nVIDIA GeForce 2 MX 200
CD-RW, DVD
Viewsonic 19" a90F CRT
Old 07-09-2004, 10:24 AM   #9
Guru

Nah, only advanage of that is more space. Two 34Gigs will do it fine for 4-5 games. Its just if you're a little mad and want three dozen games, Office, Visual Studio, MSDN Library and a few Encyclopeadias that you would need those others. Unless you plan on having a great deal of Video and Music?
Old 07-09-2004, 05:28 PM   #10
CJ
In Runtime

Default Re: WD Raptor Hard Drives and gaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluto
What in the world do you mean? Hard drives have nothing to do with gameing.

Not strictly true... access times within games (level loads etc) will be decreased. How much of a difference however I don't know. The raptors are faster than the E-IDE drives. Yes the difference between the 2 raptors is purely storage space.

CJ is offline   Reply With Quote