Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-22-2008, 12:44 PM   #1
Solid State Member

Default Water on keyboard..

A few weeks ago, I spilled maybe at most 10 drops of water on my HP Pavillion dv6000 laptop. After the water hit the keys, the laptop immediately shut off. I took out the battery and tried to let the water drain out. After about 24 hours, I tried to turn it back on, but nothing happened. I had it under warranty so I called, but they said accidents weren't covered. They said I had probably destroyed the motherboard, and that it would cost $700 to fix! I wasn't going to pay that much so I just left it sit for a while. Just today, I took the keyboard off and was looking around inside. Everything still looks good, so I wonder why the laptop won't power on. When the water was spilled, no smoke or strange smell came out from inside the laptop. If this helps anything, whenever I put the laptop on the charger, the blue LED at the plugin port is still on, indicating that the laptop is charging. I doubt it would be the motherboard, considering it was only such a minor spill. Does anybody have any suggestions on what to do in order to help bring it back to life?

firecat318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 12:54 PM   #2
Daemon Poster

Default Re: Water on keyboard..

Water conducts electricity, and by dropping water on it, you created a circuit, essentially, and allowed electricity to travel, uncontrolled, on your motherboard. Basically- you short circuited your motherboard. Usually, the motherboard makes a small pop, or no sound when this happens, and nothing is physically visible on the board.

You fried it.

aowen416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 12:59 PM   #3
xxcobraxx

ok well i put a psu in the bath for 60seconds then i left it for a month and it worked.

yer im crazy but theirs a chance if you leave it atleast one month you might have it back on.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:47 PM   #4
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antdemo View Post
ok well i put a psu in the bath for 60seconds then i left it for a month and it worked.

yer im crazy but theirs a chance if you leave it atleast one month you might have it back on.
I'm assuming the PSU wasn't on?

Water itself doesn't destroy components, it's the short circuits it makes. That's why if you wash a gameboy game, for example, and let it dry, it will work.

However, if something is powered while it get's wet, it does short circuit...and thus, breaks.
aowen416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 02:51 PM   #5
xxcobraxx

aown never thought that man lol your smart in electric tho

glad to hear
Old 04-23-2008, 01:08 PM   #6
Daemon Poster

lol, yeah.. I was thinking that too, "Was it generating electricty in some way?"

You can sometime find parts for certain lappys on Ebay. Look around and hope they have something you need for cheap.

Definatly don't throw it away Send it my way lol
Captain Pooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 01:13 PM   #7
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to _-..zKiLLA..-_

put it in the oven on the lowest setting possible. lol sounds crazy but my dad dropped his phone in a bucket of water and he put it in our oven for a while on top a paper towel and it worked but wait for some one else to confirm this lol. so i dont get blamed for a cooked laptop
Old 04-23-2008, 01:18 PM   #8
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by _-..zKiLLA..-_ View Post
put it in the oven on the lowest setting possible. lol sounds crazy but my dad dropped his phone in a bucket of water and he put it in our oven for a while on top a paper towel and it worked but wait for some one else to confirm this lol. so i dont get blamed for a cooked laptop
This just dry's the electronic component quicker, and it isn't recommended because its an extreme amount of heat.

Yeah, all you need is a tiny bit of water to cause havoc with electronics, HP was not lyeing. 700 for a new mobo is a bit much though, shouldn't have told them it was water
DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 01:29 PM   #9
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to _-..zKiLLA..-_

well thats y i said to turn it on the lowest settings possible by ur oven. hey just a suggestion