Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-28-2011, 02:27 AM   #1
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 37
Default Water cooling

Hi Guys,

I am just about ready to plug in a computer I have been building but because it is water cooled I am somewhat reluctant to plug it in and hope for the best.

Over the last few days I have had water in the tank BUT it is not under working conditions and I was wondering does anyone know of anyway to test for leaks (under working pressures/conditions) before I actually get half way through a program and have the computer short circuit????

Thanks

P
__________________

desdichato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:25 PM   #2
Fully Optimized
 
Indigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 1,866
Default Re: Water cooling

Is the cooling system running off of your power supply, or through its own power system? If you have a separate power system, one of the first things you should do is test the system by powering it on (without any power going to the PC components). If you have a system that uses the PC's power, you can bypass the system startup by disconnecting the ATX power plug from the motherboard, and then either using a power supply tester tool (the kind that plugs into the power connector) or by shorting the green and black cords on the power plug (they're immediately next to each other, and they don't carry current, so you won't hurt yourself) with a paperclip, the system power will turn on and start your components.

I would do one thing if you have to go the last route (short the pins). Disconnect the power supply from everything but the cooling pump / system. Unplug all hard drives, CDROMs, motherboard auxiliary power connector, video card, etc. That way if you DO have a leak, it won't hit any charged components in the system. Then you can just shut it off by pulling the plug or taking the paper clip out, and cleaning things up, fixing the leak, and allowing the system to dry (a box fan aimed at the case overnight should help too) and then giving it a go again. If there's no leaks, plug everything back in and fire it up.
__________________

Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:36 PM   #3
Daemon Poster
 
GibsonSGKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,384
Default Re: Water cooling

You shouldn't be using water at all, and if you bought good coolant, then it shouldn't be conductive.
__________________
C2Q Q9400 @ 3.2GHZ | Zalman 9900 LED HeatSink | Asus P5E3 Pro Motherboard | CM Storm Scout case | 1TB Caviar Black HDD | GTX760 4GB | 23" Acer [1920x1080] & 21.6" Asus [1920x1080] monitors
GibsonSGKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:28 PM   #4
Golden Master
 
Cabbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7,912
Send a message via AIM to Cabbs
Default Re: Water cooling

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibsonSGKing View Post
You shouldn't be using water at all, and if you bought good coolant, then it shouldn't be conductive.
Distilled water+biocide is perfectly fine.

Unplug your power supply from everything except your pump. Jumpstart your powersupply with a paper clip going from the green wire to any black wire on your 24-pin cable that goes to the motherboard. This starts the pump, but leaves everything else unpowered, eliminating the risk of damaging components. Run this for several hours to make sure there aren't any small leaks.
__________________
=Like anime? Come to AnimeAppeal.com!=
||DFI UT P35||Q9550@3400 Mhz||Geil 4GB RAM||Radeon 5770||
Cabbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:25 PM   #5
Daemon Poster
 
GibsonSGKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,384
Default Re: Water cooling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabbs View Post
Distilled water+biocide is perfectly fine.

Unplug your power supply from everything except your pump. Jumpstart your powersupply with a paper clip going from the green wire to any black wire on your 24-pin cable that goes to the motherboard. This starts the pump, but leaves everything else unpowered, eliminating the risk of damaging components. Run this for several hours to make sure there aren't any small leaks.
Won't a fluid made specifically for computer cooling work better though? Not to mention that the second any contaminants get to the water from the air or anything, it'll be conductive again, no?
__________________
C2Q Q9400 @ 3.2GHZ | Zalman 9900 LED HeatSink | Asus P5E3 Pro Motherboard | CM Storm Scout case | 1TB Caviar Black HDD | GTX760 4GB | 23" Acer [1920x1080] & 21.6" Asus [1920x1080] monitors
GibsonSGKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:31 PM   #6
Golden Master
 
Cabbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7,912
Send a message via AIM to Cabbs
Default Re: Water cooling

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibsonSGKing View Post
Won't a fluid made specifically for computer cooling work better though? Not to mention that the second any contaminants get to the water from the air or anything, it'll be conductive again, no?
Most of them are just Ethylene Glycol (the stuff used in automotive antifreeze) mixed with water and UV dyes for color, so it's not anything special really. If you have pets I'd avoid it on the off-chance you happen to spring a leak since the stuff is poisonous. Both will become conductive over time though from impurities in water blocks, metal fittings, and other metal parts.
__________________
=Like anime? Come to AnimeAppeal.com!=
||DFI UT P35||Q9550@3400 Mhz||Geil 4GB RAM||Radeon 5770||
Cabbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:18 PM   #7
Daemon Poster
 
GibsonSGKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,384
Default Re: Water cooling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabbs View Post
Most of them are just Ethylene Glycol (the stuff used in automotive antifreeze) mixed with water and UV dyes for color, so it's not anything special really. If you have pets I'd avoid it on the off-chance you happen to spring a leak since the stuff is poisonous. Both will become conductive over time though from impurities in water blocks, metal fittings, and other metal parts.
Huh. I stand corrected then.
__________________
C2Q Q9400 @ 3.2GHZ | Zalman 9900 LED HeatSink | Asus P5E3 Pro Motherboard | CM Storm Scout case | 1TB Caviar Black HDD | GTX760 4GB | 23" Acer [1920x1080] & 21.6" Asus [1920x1080] monitors
GibsonSGKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:24 PM   #8
Golden Master
 
Cabbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7,912
Send a message via AIM to Cabbs
Default Re: Water cooling

I know Grantofhell likes to use premade coolants, so he has differing views compared to me.
__________________

__________________
=Like anime? Come to AnimeAppeal.com!=
||DFI UT P35||Q9550@3400 Mhz||Geil 4GB RAM||Radeon 5770||
Cabbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0