Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-21-2007, 07:24 PM   #1
Baseband Member

Default Water Cooling

So here's an interesting dilemma. My desktop an AMD 3500+ Venice Core, has always run pretty cool on with a Koolance Water cooling system. I recently dismantled the computer as it was very dusty over the years and thoroughly cleaned it and drained and replaced the coolant.

Instead of replacing it with the Koolance coolant, I replaced it with PC Ice. Unless my computer is malfunctioning elsewhere (doubtful because I did a clean install also), it is running incredibly hot. Before, my system would probably peak at about 110 with heavy multitasking and running large video editing programs, but now it will go into the 130s and shutdown unless I have a giant fan running next to it without the case cover on. The reservoir is full and there is plent of coolant.

So the question is, has anyone used PC Ice and is it really a bad coolant? If so, then what is the best or atleast better coolant to use. If not, is there something I may be overlooking?

Frost17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 07:27 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to FlightSimBoy
Default Re: Water Cooling

are those temps in Celsius or Fahrenheit?

A processor should NEVER run that hot if its in Celsius. Regardless of your setup or what you do with the computer

-- edit-- use a probe thermometer to see if the readings are right, those temps are probably wrong.

My Computer: eMachines T5226 - Intel Pentium D Dual Core @ 3 GHz - Diamond Viper Radeon HD3870 OC Edition with 1 GB GDDR3 VRAM - 4 GB PQi Turbo DDR2-533 RAM - Corsair 650W PSU with 52A on single rail - TSSTcorp DVD-DL+-RW combo drive - Lite-on 52x CD-RW burner - Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi XtremeGamer - Logitech z5300e speakers - WinFast TV Tuner - Vista Ultimate 64-Bit. eBay name: Flightsimboy304
FlightSimBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 07:27 PM   #3
BSOD

I do not know, I prefer not to use water cooling at all. It is not a lot of maintenance but I like fans better. But it is you computer.
Dark Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:51 AM   #4
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Cabbs

It's not Celsius. If it was, it wouldn't be working right now. How hot is it in the room where the computer is? Your temps will never be any lower than the air passing through your radiator. I think you should try re-seating the CPU with some new thermal paste. Make sure there aren't any kinks in the lines and that the pump is working.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:54 PM   #5
Baseband Member

wow thanks! reseating it with some new thermal paste really made a huge difference. computer is idling at 84F and my room temperature is 78F! Thanks a lot!
Frost17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:10 PM   #6
BSOD

Np.

Dark Night is offline   Reply With Quote