Wanting to upgrade, but help is needed.

tuxedoman7

Solid State Member
Ok so i dont really know much about computers, but i am wanting to upgrade my processor. I currently have 2.8 ghz Intel Pentium 4 and want to upgrade to a dual core. I'm not sure what my motherboard is, but it is whatever comes standard with Dell Prescision WorkStation 370. Any help with knowing what is compatible would be greatly appreciated and some link to a kind of guide to upgrading processors. Thanks.

umm i dnt think u will be able to upgrade to a C2D maybe a P D but i dnt think it will take the C2D

i dnt think there are n e guides just for upgrading a CPU maybe it will be in with building your own pc but now on its own just because its really simple

unclip the old HS&F lift the processor lock bar remove processor
(if need be apply to thermal paste / grease to new cpu)
place new processor in slot close the cpu lock and bar
fit on the new HS&F simple...

but i have found the new 775 stock heat sink and fans really tricky to install well not really tricky just awkward to get them to lock in properly seems like you have to put alow of pressure on the mobo which is sometimes scary liek its gonna break

well if it is a socket 478 motherboard you will only be able to go to a pentium 4ht
but if it is a socket 775 it will prolly take a pentium D if not a core 2 duo , use cpu z to find out the socket type http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php and report back ,

what does higher bus mean?
the speed at which the processor and ram "speaks" to the rest of the system tis measured inmhz but usually a lot less than the speed of the processor , the pent D has 800mhs bus but the higher end core 2 duos have 1066 mhz bus

if it can take a core 2 duo ou would be better going with one of them but i would wait and see what others say about core 2 duo support before buying one

Back
Top Bottom