Want to upgrade my GeForce4 MX 420 Graphics Card

bc_hawaii

Beta member
Hi,

I want to upgrade my graphics card on my Dell Dimension 8250 which has been using the GeForce4 MX 420 grahpics card every since I bought it. My computer is 2.4 Ghz and 512 RDRAM. What graphics card do you recommend for an upgrade? I'm looking in the $100-$150 price range. I want to have smooth playing with the newest games like Half-life2 and Unreal Tournament 2004.

BTW, if I upgrade my graphics card to another graphics card in the $100-$150 range, will I notice major differences?

Aloha,
Bronson

(This is bc_hawaii, I had to make a new username because I couldn't log into the old one for some reason)

What exactly do you mean by "Agp / Pci / Pci-e ?"

Sorry, I'm not tech savy about video cards and am not acclimated with their technical terms.

Thanks,
BC

Those are different expansion slot terms.

Umm.. you will have to open your computer to find out which one... you have a manual for your computer and the motherboard?

And to answer your original question, if you spend $150.. you can get a medium range one. Yes you will notice major differences over that old Geforce4.

I went on "My Dell" online and got some information, I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, please tell me:

ASSEMBLY, CARD (CIRCUIT), PLANAR (MOTHERBOARD), NETWORK INTERFACE CARD/CONTROLLERS, DIM8250

PROCESSOR, 80532, 2.4G, 512K, 533, SOCKET N, C1

IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers Intel(r) 82801BA Bus Master IDE Controller
Primary IDE Channel
Secondary IDE Channel

bcbronz20 said:
I went on "My Dell" online and got some information, I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, please tell me:

ASSEMBLY, CARD (CIRCUIT), PLANAR (MOTHERBOARD), NETWORK INTERFACE CARD/CONTROLLERS, DIM8250

PROCESSOR, 80532, 2.4G, 512K, 533, SOCKET N, C1

IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers Intel(r) 82801BA Bus Master IDE Controller
Primary IDE Channel
Secondary IDE Channel

Does it say anything about having a free expansion slot? Those are controllers... not the info I need..

Thanks for the quick replies:

Okay, I went to Device Manager and under "System Devices" I got these:

Intel(R) 82850/82860 Processor to AGP Controller 2532
Intel(R) 82850 Processor to I/O Controller 2530

I saw "AGP" so I got the feeling like this might be what your looking for.

THanks for the help!

Thanks for the input... IN another forum I'm in, this guy said this:

"In that price range you'd want a Radeon 9600XT or a Geforce 5700 if you can find it.

If you can spend the extra money, a Geforce 6600GT is something like 4 times more powerful than those cards, and starts at around $220. So the price difference is well worth it."

What do you think? I really don't want to get out of my budget but from what he says, it's very tempting. Is he correct in his comparison between these cards?

Back
Top Bottom