Want Suggestions on a AMD gaming desktop, First time build.

lherring81

Solid State Member
I am fairly new to the forums and have found alot of interesting things up here. I want to build a gaming pc that is going to hand the new Battlefield 2 game that is coming out this month. I like playing the battlefield games but I also venture out in other game realms. I wantt o be able to play this game in good detail. Here is where the problem lies, I am on a tight budget and would like to only spend around 1000 at the most, that is just for the pc, I am going to find a keyboad and moniter somewhere else (prolly ebay) and already have a gaming mouse. I want an AMD based CPU, RAM doesn't matter, Mobo doesn't matter, Video card i would like to go with BFG tech., dvd burner does not matter, case just needs to be easily configured and possibly have a temp. gauge on it.

Like I said, this will be my first build and I have an idea of what parts to use but want your opinions. Also, wanted to know what other items I may need, such as extra fans, wire harnesses, thumbscrews, etc.

AMD ATHLON64 (venice) 3000+ socket 939
neo 4 platinum single pci-ex mobo
just some cheap hd
512mb ram although 1gb would be better.

www.newegg.com will get you prices on some of this stuff im listing

LG dvd-burners arent bad
really any case would be good
6600gt BFG pci-ex

check out some of this stuff then get back to us

you'll also need a half descent psu

Yeah, that solves the video card issue then. and would be great for games :p

As for the AMD CPU, there are two main things to look for, the speed, and the manufacturing name.

The speeds are different to Intel Pentiums, which you might know. Even though a 3000+ AMD processor only runs at 2.8GHZ, its still as fast, or hence the plus, a bit faster than a 3.0ghz Pentium CPU, and this would do your system fine with good RAM and Video card to boot.

The CPU type, or core is another. The first one they released in the 64bit range was the ClawHammer, and then the Winchester, followed by the Venice (the newer one which improves more on the Winchester core, including a 90nm manufacturing process, means for a cooler CPU like the Winchester had. The improvements are more towards memory type things)

Now, it also matters what type of AMD system you want. AMD 64 is of course the newest type, and you should aim for it. Basically it has the capability to run 64bit processes, so when a Windows 64bit is released (as it is now) and programs start using the 64bit process, you'll gain a improvement straight away, rather than people with older AMD XP processors which will have to update to use them ;)

You saying RAM and Mobo not mattering though is not true, as this does matter...alot. If you dont get a good motherboard, the CPU would be slowed down quite considerably, as well as with the RAM.

It is always best to get the fastest RAM available for use with the motherboard that it supports (for example: PC3200/DDR400), and the minimum to get now is 512mb which would be fine for most peoples uses as its become the normal for PC's, though 1gb (would see a difference if you ran a load at once) would also see an improvement in some cases.

I'm sure people here could advise you on makes of motherboard, etc to go for.

I hope this helps :)

sounds like cage has got you going. If you're aiming for 512 ram get 2 256 meg ram cards. and if you are planning on overclocking make sure your mobo is unlocked...

Thanks :) Yeah rdcmmnst is right in saying to get two 256Mb modules. If the motherboard you get also supports something called Dual Channel, the RAM would also have to support that to work.

Basically what this does is allows for double the bandwidth when you get two RAM modules together, and so, faster speeds.

Athlon 64 CPU's are unlocked, so rdcmmnst is also right in saying that you should be very picky when picking out a motherboard, even more so than the CPU in some respects.

I hope this helps :)

i wouldnt get 2x256mb sticks because the 1 stick of 512mb ram would be just to hold him over til he could get 1gb.

it depends on how many ram slots he has if he's got four that are dual channel compatible then just get more ram as he needs it...i think it's the way to go. Ram is cheap too

Yeah, I agree with rdcmmnst on this one.

If lherring81 can afford only 512mb, you'd get 2x 256mb if at least 3 slots (like most) are available (so you'd have a chance of updating to 1gb later on, and wouldn't cause wastage)

If lherring81 can afford 1gb, I'd get it in 2x 512mb.

Dual channel is only just an option, but its a good one if you have compatable hardware.

Back
Top Bottom