Want to replace a Celeron, looking for advice

movinup

Baseband Member
I inherited a Dell 2400 w/ Celeron 2.7 Ghz. The Dell spec sheet says this comp came with this or a P4 processor.

It runs XP Pro just fine, but I want to up the performance and make this usable as a third comp running Vista HP. I can max out at 2 Gb ram, but more importantly I am looking at replacing the CPU with a P4.

Problem is I have no idea which P4 this would take. I assume it is a socket 478.

If anyone has one of these can you tell me what it would accept for a CPU.

Also, I MAY update the onboard video, but it only has PCI. Are there any decent older PCI recommendations?

Finally, before I get flamed on this, I intend to use it solely as a media extender to my Q2Q which has Vista Media Center set up with a TV tuner/PVR.

it should be a socket 478 cpu, the motherboard also only supports a 533mhz FSB, you won't be doing much with that computer, but I think you already know that...

I had a dimension 2400 back in the day. It was socket478 and had a 2.8Ghz P4 in it. I upgraded it to a lga775 P4 @ 3.0Ghz, but I only did that because I sold the old parts at a price high enough to cover the new. I would recommend a new system if you plan on vista. With that slow FSB, you won't be doing much with it...even with 2GB of RAM.

Back
Top Bottom