Want to help me pick parts for new comp?

First of all, DDR3 SDRAM or DDR5 SDRAM (memories) on Graphics cards are called GDDR SDRAM. GDDR memory was first started by ATI Radeon and later Nvidia started to incorporate GDDR memory in their Graphics cards.

To explain the difference between GDDR3 and GDDR5 memory, we must learn about the DDR2 SRAM and DDR3 SDRAM of PC Memory (RAM).

First of all, DDR SDRAM stands for Double Data Rate Synchronous Dynamic Random Access Memory, the name is such because the Memory Clock Speed of RAM is doubled for DDR and quadrabled for DDR 2 (doubled and doubled).

I know it's getting a little technical, so I'll put it into simple terms.

If the number behind the GDDR increases by one, the Memory Clock Speed multiplied by 2 times the previous factor.

This means, GDDR5 have approx 4 times the performance speed and quality of GDDR3 memories (GDDR4 has twice the performance quality of GDDR3).

Now this may not be the case with RAM because of Memory Timings, but that's another story.

I hope that helped.

Thanks a bunch! 8D

One more question (might be noobish but whatever)...

Is the DDR5 on a graphics card anyway associated with ram sticks on the motherboard?

wow, critiqueFAIL by every ComputerForums member who posted...

not one person has mentioned the absolutely craptrastic but inherently "blingy" psu, Logisys psus are total crap, don't risk the parts in your build with a POS like that, get a decent psu, if you don't the odds are that you will regret it...

also, if you really want the see through look that case is alright, but a great looking case that is on sale/closeout at all Best Buys is the Antec Nine Hundred...

antec_900.jpg

it looks nice, it cools well and is only $68 because Best Buy is no longer gonna keep it in stock, check your local BB and see if they still have one, the case you chose will probably be more than this with shipping factored in because of the weight, it's almost never a good idea to buy a case online unless free shipping is included...

What would be a good, cheap PSU then? ^^

First of all, DDR3 SDRAM or DDR5 SDRAM (memories) on Graphics cards are called GDDR SDRAM. GDDR memory was first started by ATI Radeon and later Nvidia started to incorporate GDDR memory in their Graphics cards.

To explain the difference between GDDR3 and GDDR5 memory, we must learn about the DDR2 SRAM and DDR3 SDRAM of PC Memory (RAM).

First of all, DDR SDRAM stands for Double Data Rate Synchronous Dynamic Random Access Memory, the name is such because the Memory Clock Speed of RAM is doubled for DDR and quadrabled for DDR 2 (doubled and doubled).

I know it's getting a little technical, so I'll put it into simple terms.

If the number behind the GDDR increases by one, the Memory Clock Speed multiplied by 2 times the previous factor.

This means, GDDR5 have approx 4 times the performance speed and quality of GDDR3 memories (GDDR4 has twice the performance quality of GDDR3).

Now this may not be the case with RAM because of Memory Timings, but that's another story.

I hope that helped.

I didnt think that the "2" in DDR2 meant that the speed was quadrupled! I thought that it was the 2nd version sorta thing...

I didnt think that the "2" in DDR2 meant that the speed was quadrupled! I thought that it was the 2nd version sorta thing...

Yea, the number's represent the doubling of the MCR. I guess it could also work as a version thing too ;).

What would be a good, cheap PSU then? ^^

If you're on a budget, I usually recommend OCZ PSUs. You won't get the quality you'd get from a CORSAIR unit, but that's not to mistake it for a low-quality unit.

OCZ makes quality units that will last for great prices. Look for a 600W of any of the ____XStream units. Should be around $60.

Is the DDR5 on a graphics card anyway associated with ram sticks on the motherboard?

They don't actually intermingle (I'm not sure if you'll get this), but, the extra memory on GPUs help the overall system memory related tasks esp when playing games.

What's the MCR?

MCR is the Memory Clock Rate.

I just saw this mobo on another post.

Is it worth the extra $40?
Same with this PSU

Oh and wolvarine, I checked best buy and it's still marked up to $130 D8

Back
Top Bottom