Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 02-04-2010, 04:22 PM   #1
In Runtime

Send a message via AIM to myles363
Default w7 install. wrong hardware or os?

i have xp running and i think that all my hardware is fine to run it... i dont need to have vista to do a clean install i dont think..

i have windows 7 on an iso dvd disk that i got from my pc class at school. i put it in and boot from the dvd drive... it starts to work but doesnt. i am running xp still

it stats to load the windows files like its supposed to...

then it starts windows screen...

then it starts to load this page and after it is done with the loading thing by the pointer...it just sits there. i can still move the mouse around though...

help would be great!!!!! thank you

Antec 300 Case | 650 Watt PS | MSI 750a SLI Platinum Mobo | Athlon 64x2 5400 Black Edition | Xigmatek HDT S1283 HS | 2x Bfg 9800gt OC+ Running SLI | 160 & 500 GB Hard Drives | Ocz Reaper 4GB | Asus CD/DVD Burner
myles363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:02 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: w7 install. wrong hardware or os?

It sounds like you have a bad DVD burn. Try burning it again to a different disk. Another way, if you have the ISO, is to install from a USB flash drive (provided your PC can boot from a USB flash drive). If you're interested take a look at this.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:12 AM   #3
Golden Master

I've had that too...you know my quick fix? Wait...I had to wait for a couple of PCs...No more than 10mins though. If yours is like that, try another image...or even better yet...grab Virtual PC and try the ISO directly from there.
cboucher, DVD and CD drives are still at ATA/66 (Or 66MB/sec), while USB is at 480Mbps...or 48MB/sec. It will be slower, but it's an accomplishment to do.
lhuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:11 PM   #4
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhuser View Post
I've had that too...you know my quick fix? Wait...I had to wait for a couple of PCs...No more than 10mins though. If yours is like that, try another image...or even better yet...grab Virtual PC and try the ISO directly from there.
cboucher, DVD and CD drives are still at ATA/66 (Or 66MB/sec), while USB is at 480Mbps...or 48MB/sec. It will be slower, but it's an accomplishment to do.
While the numbers may support the idea that installing from DVD is faster, experience tells me that installing from USB is much faster. One thing you may not be taking into account is spin-up/spin-down time for the DVD drive.