Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 02-27-2005, 11:55 PM   #1
Baseband Member
Default VPU Settings

Hello Everyone. I recently put in a 250 gig hard drive, and it works great. However, i get a message that reads like this and it just randomly pops up every once in a while...

VPU Recover has reset your graphics accelerator as
it was no longer responding to graphics driver commands

and then it says in bold

Please tell ATI Technologies about this

Can anyone give me any help or suggestions about this? Thanks!!!

amdguy305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 12:37 AM   #2
Daemon Poster
Send a message via AIM to zoomtm Send a message via MSN to zoomtm Send a message via Yahoo to zoomtm
Default Re: VPU Settings

Heat: ZoomTm
Ebay: ZoomTm
zoomtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 03:46 AM   #3
Golden Master
Send a message via MSN to Kage

That's something to do with the graphics card, since in the settings in the Display Panel, you can turn VPU Recover on/off which can fix problems straight away...

Zoomtm might be right with it being a overheating problem, but I'd assume you'd get the same problem on the old drive as well...

Make sure you have up to date video drivers by downloading them from the ATI site, and it might fix it, because since you got the new drive, you probably reinstalled the drivers. You might have just used older ones, because VPU Recover is something in the drivers

Edit: By the way, the newest drivers on the ATI site do not work on my PC for some reason. It might be best you press to get the previous version because I don't think much was changed, but you could always try the newest one. It just causes me to get a black screen when it gets into windows... Least you'd know what the problem was anyway

Hope this helps,
Abit IP35 Pro / Q6600 G0 / Zalman 9700 / 8800GTS 640mb / 4x 2GB Corsair XMS / X-FI Xtreme M / 1x 1TB / Antec 900 / Logitech Z-5500 / Samsung 20inch
Kage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 04:59 PM   #4
Daemon Poster

If you installed a new hard drive, you probably installed games on it; so they are not closely linked to the operating system. The Virtual Processing Unit of the video card has to scramble through a lot more disk space to achieve its' goal.
I would suggest you put your swap file on this new hard disk and just leave a small 50 Gig (min/max) swapfile on your main C, and one of 1.5 times the RAM you have (min/max) and then do a good disk cleanup and defragmentation. The VPU will seldom be initiated, but if you have sufficient RAM, a good swapfile and programs installed correctly on the right drives, you should be OK. Buy more RAM if you have too.
Asus P4P800 SE
Intel P4 3.2 Gig 1024 Meg PC3200 cas latency 2.5
RAID 0 2-36.7 Gig SATA WD 10,000 RPM
6500 Kb bandwith Internet Connection
zero4zero is offline   Reply With Quote