Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-16-2004, 05:43 AM   #1
Beta Member
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1
Default Voltage Regulator..


Right the thing is i have just bought a computer for my car and will be installing it next week which is here.


I have everything i need e.g. screen (Kenwood KVT-M700) ect all i wanted to know was about the powering side of things. My friend has said to me i have two options.

1) Use a mains inverter. This creates a 240vac feed from the battery which you plug the mini-itx's external mains adaptor in to. This is a waste of energy though - power is lost in both conversions. Cheap inverters also work on a modified sine-wave so output a lot of noise on the supply which can cause buzzing through your speakers and interference on the screen.

2) Buy a voltage regulator. This will increase or decrease the voltage as necessary - it sits in between the car battery and the pc's 12v input. This is the best option. i have the regulator inside the pc case. The pc will run for 8 hours without the engine on!

Now i am not to clued up on this sort of things but the second option seems to be better to me. But have not got a clue what i voltage regulator is/does and where to get one from. If you can shed any light on this matter that would be great.

djrealm is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0