Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 12-14-2007, 11:16 AM   #1
In Runtime

Default Vista to XP

So I've got Vista 32 loaded on my laptop currently, and I am wanting to throw XP on there as well and dual boot..

Any known issues I should be aware of?

Do I have to screw around with partitioning at all? I havn't messed with multiple OS's for a while..

Thanks

toole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 12:06 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to _-..zKiLLA..-_
Default Re: Vista to XP

u shouldn't have to mess with it...

Old 12-14-2007, 12:10 PM   #3
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to Kage

You will have to partition, since you are at the moment using all your drive for Vista, so if you now tried to install XP, it'd wipe your Vista installation, most likely with all your files, and put XP on.

To dual boot the easy way, you will have to format, and then install both again, setting up a partition on the XP setup, or whichever you decide to install first.

On the other hand, you can use a program called Partition Magic to partition half the drive as it is now within Windows (rather easy to do actually), with space you aren't using, and then on that empty partition, install XP with the setup disc once you restart the PC, with the virtual drive its created.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:17 PM   #4
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to dude_se Send a message via MSN to dude_se

yeah. kages second method should work fine.
im not sure if the xp boot.ini would pick up the vista os but yea that shouldnt be a problem, try this
Old 12-14-2007, 02:18 PM   #5
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage View Post
On the other hand, you can use a program called Partition Magic to partition half the drive as it is now within Windows (rather easy to do actually), with space you aren't using, and then on that empty partition, install XP with the setup disc once you restart the PC, with the virtual drive its created.

So with this program, Partition Magic, am I able to leave Vista installed? And then install XP?

Secondly, if not, and I have to like you had said, format and reinstall BOTH OS's is it easier/difficult to install vista prior to XP or vice versa?

Last, let say this is on a manufactured computer, a Dell Laptop, so the only OS software I have..legit is the Recovery Package Software that is provided, it is a 'full copy' of Vista Premium, but just in case would this give me any issues when trying to reinstall dual boot?

Thanks for all the help guys ^ ^
toole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 02:23 PM   #6
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to Kage

Hmm... its possible the Recovery Package Software is already using a partition, but this shouldn't be a problem.

Partition Magic will allow you to do that yes, as it can do it within Windows
Old 12-14-2007, 03:48 PM   #7
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to dude_se Send a message via MSN to dude_se

if you were to format and install both fresh then xp first, and vista second is best every time. this is because the vista setup will let you create a new partition which will then contain vista, and it will still reconise xp on the boot menu without any hassle.
doing the above it worth a go though
Old 12-14-2007, 07:26 PM   #8
In Runtime

WAIT BEFORE YOU FORMAT YOUR HDD!!! I am runing XP and Vista, same situation. Partition Magic does not work with Vista!!

Partitioning your harddrive: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...sta-partition/

Dual booting instructions:
http://apcmag.com/5023/dual_booting_xp_with_vista

This is really an easy process. Just don't format your hdd if you don't have to.

Good Luck!

sccrbrandon4788 is offline   Reply With Quote