Vista "run"

Celegorm

Site Team
Staff member
i've been playing aroudn with a Vista Ultimate demo at work and i've noticed on thing that is missing from what i'm used to. the "Run" item in the start menu. is there any way taht any of you Vista users have found to turn this on? cuz i'd have to have to dig through system32 to get at CMD, Msconfig ect.

right click on the start bar > properties or something like that > and look for contents or something and then u can enable things u want on the start menu

Want some feedback from me? Sure.

Vista works fine browsing, and playing music and such, but when it comes to actual video viewing and 3D gaming, one time or another, it will lock up with a high pitch sound.

celegorm said:
i've been playing aroudn with a Vista Ultimate demo at work and i've noticed on thing that is missing from what i'm used to. the "Run" item in the start menu. is there any way taht any of you Vista users have found to turn this on? cuz i'd have to have to dig through system32 to get at CMD, Msconfig ect.
It is in "All Programmes > Accessories > Run

I think (if I remember correctly) in Beta 2 there was a right click menu option to "pin to start menu" but this appears to be missing in RC 1

EDIT: The Command Prompt is also in the same folder (accessories)

Try2Live4God said:
How is the Vista?? Any feedback on this?
It's pretty.

Pretty to look at, pretty memory hungry, pretty useless for gaming, pretty overpriced, pretty damn annoying with the introduction of the "User Account Protection" feature (though this can be disabled it results in an annoying Security Centre icon in the system tray, this too can be disabled in the Security Centre Notification options)

Lets just say it'll be a pretty long time until I leave XP

:D

lhuser said:
..... Vista works fine browsing, and playing music and such, but when it comes to actual video viewing and 3D gaming, one time or another, it will lock up with a high pitch sound.
That's more than likely hardware (video card to be specific) than it is to actually be the Vista software. Something is not handling the 3D or Aero mode or similar.

nVidia card or ATi ?

DILLIGAF said:
That's more than likely hardware (video card to be specific) than it is to actually be the Vista software. Something is not handling the 3D or Aero mode or similar.

nVidia card or ATi ?
It's a Nvidia Geforce FX5200 and Aero doesn't seem to be the trouble either. My Geforce 4 with Aero disabled makes my games run, but crappy, like the usual, but the 5200 with disabled Aero, or so I think (I just unchecked the Transparancy box) and it still does the same. It also locks up on the Aero disabling when I run stuf flike Azureus. I'll give it another shot when my Windows will be screwy.

I've had Vista top out at 1.79GB of ram usage during gaming (CoH)(see here Post #21) That could be a contributing factor but you have to admit your hardware is kind of dated, FX5200, that imo will be the main cause of your troubles.

Back
Top Bottom