Vista... to be or not to be?

XP is already starting to fade. No SP3 will be released for Windows XP. SP2 is it, looks like. Ok wait, I'm getting sources confused. Some website is saying no SP3 will be released while other say it will. Hmmmmmm.....

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=376

If you have Vista, run compatibility check--then install if you think you can get the drivers you need. Otherwise, wait a bit. That's the ONLY think I can recommend to you now. It double check your hardware and software to see if Vista is right for you. I did the same thing for my laptop and it said that the laptop PC needed additional RAM for Vista Business. Everything else checks out ok.

ISOwner said:
XP is already starting to fade. No SP3 will be released for Windows XP. SP2 is it, looks like. Ok wait, I'm getting sources confused. Some website is saying no SP3 will be released while other say it will. Hmmmmmm.....

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=376

If you have Vista, run compatibility check--then install if you think you can get the drivers you need. Otherwise, wait a bit. That's the ONLY think I can recommend to you now. It double check your hardware and software to see if Vista is right for you. I did the same thing for my laptop and it said that the laptop PC needed additional RAM for Vista Business. Everything else checks out ok.
I'm hoping all my hardware is compatible. Well its says on my mobo box "Vista Certified". I'm just worried about my wireless card.

finalTrout said:
Get vista but don't expect it to run well WITH ANYTHING. Also, don't expect to run windows without crashing along with having a huge % of your system devoted to stupid, unneeded crap that you don't need.

BUT HEY, YOU GET THE NEW OS. Aren't you happy?

Funny my crashes stopped after I managed to get all the updates and drivers for it! Vista runs as good if not better than XP now! About 5 load bars at startup and no errors at all.

Windows Users Not Quite Ready for Vista

by Michael Domingo

April 5, 2007

A Harris Interactive survey shows most users not as willing to upgrade their current systems to install Vista, at least not yet.

Windows Vista has been shipping officially since November, and with Microsoft claiming 20 million licenses sold in February soon after the consumer version hit the channel, Microsoft's successful track record with new releases overall rolls on.

But when drilling down on the consumer upgrade picture, it gets a bit fuzzy. A two-part survey from Harris Interactive shows that consumers who already own computers are not as apt to upgrade to Vista now, and most of them have plans to stay put with their current OS.

Back in December, Harris found that among 1,028 U.S. adults, 87 percent said they were aware of Vista. Of those, 20 percent said they planned to upgrade. Another survey of 2,228 U.S. adults in March after the official launch of the consumer version showed even fewer, 12 percent, were hot on the newly launched OS.

Here's where the upgrade picture seems to show a glimmer of good news: Among December respondents who indicated they had plans to buy a new PC, 15 percent said they'd wait for Vista. In the March survey, 20 percent were ready to buy a new PC with Vista installed on it.

And that data bodes well for PC sellers and retailers. Of those who said they plan on upgrading within the next 12 months, 48 percent said they plan to do so by shoring up their computers to meet Vista's hardware requirements, while 31 percent are considering a new PC purchase with Vista already installed.

Michael Gartenberg, an analyst with Jupiter Research, contends that the Harris poll points to obvious timing problems with this release: "It's not that most people aren't ready to upgrade, it's that people need the motivation to upgrade." He added, "Vista launched at a slow time of the year in terms of when people do these types of things -- it's not back-to-school, it's not the holiday season. There's no impetus to go out and buy that PC right now."

Gartenberg believes Microsoft's success with Windows XP compounds the problem of selling consumers and businesses on the benefits of upgrading to Vista overall. "[Windows] XP did what consumers wanted it to do. When what you've got on the market meets the threshold of 'good enough,' then you've got to get consumers beyond that and say, 'there's even better.'"

Despite the results of the survey, Microsoft says Vista sales outpaced first month sales for Windows XP.

http://entmag.com/news/rss.asp?editorialsid=8405

Personally I'm gonna wait till they release a service pack for it or when I get a new CPU, looks like it's gonna be a while for a vista service pack though. I'm just looking forward to Crysis. /drool Gonna be a b**** re-installing everything though.. so many programs. From what I heard atm games on Vista crash like every 5 mins and some don't work lol. I'll at least wait till most games play alright.

I have Vista installed on two machines (one of them is over 1 1/2 years old) and they run perfect.........I don't care what people say I really like Vista.
It's much faster to boot and change applications than XP ever was. Haven't had much issues with drivers or program applications either. A quick check on the OEM's website willl turn up Vista drivers for most stuff.
File sharing, printer sharing, and home network setup was a snap.

I'm discovering new awesome tweaks here and there every day I use it.........not to mention the awesome GUI.

Can't say I would ever want to go back to XP........

An article by the editor of PCPlus magazine indicated that there is another major service pack for XP scheduled for release mid-2008. Vienna is (rather optimistically on Microsoft's behalf) scheduled for 2009 although 2010 is far more likely.

As far as 'is Vista worth having?' or even 'is Vista required now?' goes, a quote from the same article sums up what essentially appears to be the case to me.

"The flashy graphics, Glass interface, Sidebar, Windows shell and other obvious features are largely smoke and mirrors, until the development community makes Vista an essential purchase."

Nothing out there as of yet requires Vista to run, yet a lot of things users wish to run on Vista require tweaking. Therefore I ask (rather cliche), if it isn't broken - why fix it?

My laptop came with Vista and it isn't slow. Performance is about the same with 1GB on Vista as it was with 512MB (of RAM) on XP.

My laptop came with Vista and it isn't slow. Performance is about the same with 1GB on Vista as it was with 512MB (of RAM) on XP.
i have win xp on 512mb ram here and it performs ok , if i open a few programmes it starts to go slow but if i say have wmp open and ms word and fireworks i have no problems at all and it runs pretty smooth

Back
Top Bottom