Vista 64 bit faster than XP 32 bit?

Imagine how many OSs will fit into those. *drool*

I don't know anything about 64-bit, but my Vista Ultimate 32 loads up about five times faster than when my rig had XP on it.

64 bit is usually faster than 32 bit. Think of it this way: one is a 32 foot wide street and the other is 64 foot, the 64 foot street gets more information down the road faster..

Well, I copied and pasted what Raffaz wrote and it cut down the loading time to 9 and a 1/4 cycles. So thanks for that mate.

How long does it take the loading bar to go through for you guys?

Edit: I just resstarted the olds PC, it has a similar setup as mine (security and program wise at least) but it's a Celeron 2.8 GhZ, 512 MB PC3200 DDR RAM, 80 GB 7200 IDE HD... It took only 4 and a 1/4 cycles on the loading bar... Go figure.

I don't really think it matters tomuch because everyones computer is different in some way so...

mine takes about 3 or 4 max..but thats XP.

What stuff have you got loading at startup? Has the other pc got less stuff installed?

Theres also a little utility called bootvis which gives you a graphical interpretation of the boot loader process, so you can see where its taking the time to load

Maybe not, but I still think something is wrong somewhere. I mean, as if a PC with a Celeron and 512 MB DDR will load up faster than a Laptop with a C2D and 2 GB DDR2.

Edit: I'll get a screenshot of my Tuneup Start Up Manager.

Laptop

startuppu9.jpg

PC

startupqd1.jpg

The PC is just on one HD with no partitions.

So how do I work out where the problem is?

Bootvis Laptop

bootvisbc7.jpg

On a side note the version of XP on my laptop is legal... the one on the olds PC isn't... Not that that'd really make a difference... Only other thing that I can think of that would be different is that the PC would have less drivers and it doesn't have Net Framework 2 installed on it.

Edit: I don't even know if this is the right thing your looking for in Bootvis... Just played around and clicked Trace - Next Boot. Oh, I just saw the optimise thing. So I did that and it took 4 and a half cycles, and just then 7 and a half. So that's an improvement. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom