Virus's/trojans used for good, idea of mine?

Kage

Golden Master
I was thinking the other week at work about this idea. You can all shoot me down but, haha, I think its a pretty good one.

You know virus's are usually bad things that copy each other around to wherever they can go, and theres also zombie computers that are formed by trojans and what not.

Well, why doesn't a virus coroporation thats built to tackle these release virus's, or said trojans that actually cleans up a person's computer of these threats, and spreads around the net freely.

That way, anyone stupid enough not to have anti-virus protection would get protected by what usually would ruin them, pass itself around, and then delete itself.

I know. Sounds mad, (and may be a breach of privacy), but what do you think?

I bet the privacy issue would be your #1 problem, but let me get this straight: you basically want to incorporate a virus scanner that would spread itself around like a "virus," but would delete and clean up computers just like, say, Norton or AVG or Spybot does?

Yeah, but for people that obviously don't have any protection, or don't bother to clean up (which there are a lot of).
But no, it wouldn't be a download. It'd litterally spread around the net like a virus but work differently of course.
You know how quick they spread around.

thats a good idea, but i dont think it is practical, for example if someone has noron, and you are spreading out this, a new proper virus comes out, norton just send an update to every pc and thats it, problem resolved, but with yours it might take a week to reach the most badly infected computer.

It was a good idea though, just a shame it is not practical enough

Yeah, I didn't say it would be a download. But that sounds like a very interesting idea. You'd have to do these, though:

1. Main problem would be privacy.
2. Make sure it is failsafe, and won't delete any important programs/files

I see both as being major problems, but #2 would be very important. I'm sure you've seen this happen before; the antivirus program (or spyware program) will detect and sometimes "fix" something that was a critical program file.

thats a good idea, but i dont think it is practical, for example if someone has noron, and you are spreading out this, a new proper virus comes out, norton just send an update to every pc and thats it, problem resolved, but with yours it might take a week to reach the most badly infected computer.

It was a good idea though, just a shame it is not practical enough

This would be for people without virus protection.

Yeah, but quite a lot of PC's are still hosts of programs that make those computers zombies, attacking companies etc, so not everyone has protection.

Least if this was somehow made and released, and these computers got it, they would be cured, for the most part of all the older virus's/trojans/spyware not protected against before. Once deleted and sent out, it'd delete, leaving no trace, but a cleaner computer.

Even if newer virus's did appear (which they do), you can't deny that getting rid of computers problems without protection (because the people have no idea what they are doing) is a path in the right direction.

EDIT:

Yeah, 2# seems like a valid point GhostGT... hmm... It'd just have to be very careful I guess, and only delete what are really known to be virus's trojans, and maybe clean and not delete, or delete and not clean.

thats what i was on about, someone who doesnt have antivirus will take ages to get this to his computer probably, but i dont know maybe it will catch on and you will become the next bill gates! :)

Have a detection module that would look for other antivirus programs running. If it finds your computer is protected already then just have it self destruct. But you'd have to use a trick black hat hackers use detecting anti virus programs. Where theirs would kill or maim the program, yours would use that knowledge to decide whether to install and run or go boom.

Back
Top Bottom