Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-29-2009, 08:28 PM   #1
Baseband Member

Default Viruses not allowing install of Norton Antivirus

A friend of mine has viruses and he bought Norton Antivirus to install on his computer. He can't install it though, because an error message keeps coming up saying something about another program is running and needs to be closed. This obviously has to be the viruses. How can you get rid of these things if you can't install the antivirus?

When I first became a member here, I fixed my sister's computer and a co-worker's computer by using sdfix and smitfraudfix and then installin ad-aware. The problem here is that this computer won't let me get an internet connection in safe mode in order to download these and regular mode won't let me do anything. I even have ad-aware and spybot search & destroy on a flash drive, but it won't let me install them in regular mode or in safe mode. An error message appears which says that these programs have corrupt files, which is a bunch of bull because when I got home, they would start to install onto my computer.

The one difference between this computer and my sister's and co-worker's computers is that theirs had dsl. This one has aol dial-up. I know, I know, I thought dial-up became extinct with the dinasours myself. I almost laughed when I saw this. I don't know if having aol dial-up has anything to do with me not being able to get an internet connection in safe mode.

So what can I do to fix this guy's computer? Or at least be able to install the Norton. I showed him how to get into safe mode and he tried to install it in both regular and safe mode, and neither works. Also, can anyone tell me if there are current links for downloading sdfix and smitfraudfix? Thanks.

Novice2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:48 PM   #2
Solid State Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Frankoman
Default Re: Viruses not allowing install of Norton Antivirus

im a noob but i would say to reinstall the OS

Frankoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:50 PM   #3
Omnipotent One

Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster

If you get an error stating that another program needs to close, find out what program it is and disable it.
Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:24 PM   #4
Baseband Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
If you get an error stating that another program needs to close, find out what program it is and disable it.
How do you disable a virus? If that's what it is that's running?
Novice2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:34 PM   #5
Baseband Member

I have disabled viruses temporarily through the processes tab in the task manager. Not sure if that's how you do it for all computers. [Yes I know it will come back after reboot if you dont delete the registry values, im just talking about temporary]
CarbonFiberComp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:38 PM   #6
Omnipotent One

Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster

Open up the Task Manager and check the Applications and Processes tabs. Disabled/end any that are unnecessary. The error message should tell you which program needs to be shut down.
Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:40 PM   #7
Baseband Member

Yes whatever the name of the program it is talking about, look in processes and disable it. You should then be able to download the virus protection
CarbonFiberComp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 03:07 AM   #8
Fully Optimized

boot to safe mode and install the "Norton Virus" maybe.

lol

E8600@ 4.25GHz, 1.325V | Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme + Scythe Slipstream 120 | Asus Rampage Extreme| 4GB Corsair 2000MHz 8-8-8-24 @ 1600 6-7-6-24| ASUS 9800GTX| Pioneer 18X SATA DVD-RW | 320GB + 500GB WD SATAII | Antec True Power Trio 650W | Thermaltake Sonata | Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 Ultimate
A True Folder is offline   Reply With Quote