videocard problems

bigreygod

Beta member
i have a nvidia GFORCE fx 5200 and the fan is making a weird sound is it better to just buy a new card or replace the fan or get a vga cooler

Sounds like youve had the card for quite some time considering its a fx 5200, fan motor might have died, thats what happened to my CPU fan back from 1999. If its not that, try cleaning it, and if its not that. Next if it has a external power source, like a real fan, just unplug it..if not, u might have to get a new card.

try a drop of oil on the axis of the fan. I had it once that my gpu fan started making a very load noise, so i took the fan off and pu a few drops of (sewing machine) oil on it too make it run more smoothly. Gave it a few turns, made sure it was all clean and put the fan back on. Worked like a charm, it ran silently again.
especially if its an old card, it may just be dust thats not making the fan run smoothly

d52477001 said:
try a drop of oil on the axis of the fan. I had it once that my gpu fan started making a very load noise, so i took the fan off and pu a few drops of (sewing machine) oil on it too make it run more smoothly. Gave it a few turns, made sure it was all clean and put the fan back on. Worked like a charm, it ran silently again.
especially if its an old card, it may just be dust thats not making the fan run smoothly

Not really such a good idea...

Why not?
As long as you are sensible about it and use common sense, it should be ok, shouldnt it? I took apart the fan completely and used a special sort of oil. Also turned it and made sure there was no spillage of the oil at all.
Of course it is all at your own risk, if you dont feel comortable doing this definitely dont try it. dont want to be responsible for messing up your card :)

Spec said:
Not really such a good idea...
?????? Why would you say that ??????

d52477001 said:
Why not?
As long as you are sensible about it and use common sense, it should be ok, shouldnt it? I took apart the fan completely and used a special sort of oil. Also turned it and made sure there was no spillage of the oil at all.
Of course it is all at your own risk, if you dont feel comortable doing this definitely dont try it. dont want to be responsible for messing up your card :)
Precisely, it's a known fix for seizing fans, I've done it myself.

You just lift the sticker on the fan centre, apply your light oil, spin it a few times to free it up, leave it sitting so the oil pentrates, then turn it over to drain off any excess, clean the surface and reapply the sticker. Simple

just clean the card
take the fan off
use that air spry stuph on the fan to get every thing off
then put a drop oil
and oil should work fine even cooking oil
but just make sure u only use a little tiny bit

esa193 said:
and oil should work fine even cooking oil
Blatantly incorrect, if you do not know what you are talking about then don't post.

Cooking oil will thicken and eventually turn to a gum which will sieze the fan completely causing over heating and hardware damage.

Light machine oil is recommended

Back
Top Bottom