Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 11-06-2006, 10:55 PM   #1
Beta Member

Default videocard problems

i have a nvidia GFORCE fx 5200 and the fan is making a weird sound is it better to just buy a new card or replace the fan or get a vga cooler

bigreygod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 11:04 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: videocard problems

Sounds like youve had the card for quite some time considering its a fx 5200, fan motor might have died, thats what happened to my CPU fan back from 1999. If its not that, try cleaning it, and if its not that. Next if it has a external power source, like a real fan, just unplug it..if not, u might have to get a new card.

PokerDegenerate: Don't listen to these guys, I like the IDE makes it look vintage like a 68 Camaro SS...
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 11:17 PM   #3
Baseband Member

try a drop of oil on the axis of the fan. I had it once that my gpu fan started making a very load noise, so i took the fan off and pu a few drops of (sewing machine) oil on it too make it run more smoothly. Gave it a few turns, made sure it was all clean and put the fan back on. Worked like a charm, it ran silently again.
especially if its an old card, it may just be dust thats not making the fan run smoothly
d52477001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 11:28 PM   #4
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by d52477001
try a drop of oil on the axis of the fan. I had it once that my gpu fan started making a very load noise, so i took the fan off and pu a few drops of (sewing machine) oil on it too make it run more smoothly. Gave it a few turns, made sure it was all clean and put the fan back on. Worked like a charm, it ran silently again.
especially if its an old card, it may just be dust thats not making the fan run smoothly
Not really such a good idea...

PokerDegenerate: Don't listen to these guys, I like the IDE makes it look vintage like a 68 Camaro SS...
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 11:34 PM   #5
Baseband Member

Why not?
As long as you are sensible about it and use common sense, it should be ok, shouldnt it? I took apart the fan completely and used a special sort of oil. Also turned it and made sure there was no spillage of the oil at all.
Of course it is all at your own risk, if you dont feel comortable doing this definitely dont try it. dont want to be responsible for messing up your card
d52477001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 01:45 AM   #6
BSOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec
Not really such a good idea...
?????? Why would you say that ??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by d52477001
Why not?
As long as you are sensible about it and use common sense, it should be ok, shouldnt it? I took apart the fan completely and used a special sort of oil. Also turned it and made sure there was no spillage of the oil at all.
Of course it is all at your own risk, if you dont feel comortable doing this definitely dont try it. dont want to be responsible for messing up your card
Precisely, it's a known fix for seizing fans, I've done it myself.

You just lift the sticker on the fan centre, apply your light oil, spin it a few times to free it up, leave it sitting so the oil pentrates, then turn it over to drain off any excess, clean the surface and reapply the sticker. Simple
DILLIGAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 01:56 AM   #7
Baseband Member

Send a message via MSN to masterprime

it's about time to get a new card like a Radeon x1600Pro or something.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:26 AM   #8
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to esa193

just clean the card
take the fan off
use that air spry stuph on the fan to get every thing off
then put a drop oil
and oil should work fine even cooking oil
but just make sure u only use a little tiny bit

MacArthur wrestling pwns!
esa193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 04:07 PM   #9
BSOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by esa193
and oil should work fine even cooking oil
Blatantly incorrect, if you do not know what you are talking about then don't post.

Cooking oil will thicken and eventually turn to a gum which will sieze the fan completely causing over heating and hardware damage.

Light machine oil is recommended

DILLIGAF is offline   Reply With Quote