Video woes

krak

Solid State Member
I am having a problem. My computer keeps freezing/hanging/crashing, whichever term fits your fancy.

Here is a picture of what is happening.
http://temp.hatethis.org/wtf_windoze.jpg

I have all my drivers up to date: Bios, USB, Motherboard, Video, Sound. This just started happening in the past week or two. Five times today. Its driving me nuts. The only change in hardware has been a new keyboard which I got a week ago. It has happened before the new KB so I am not thinking that is the issue.

About a month ago I was having some hard drive issues. Although I thought they were resolved as I have not had any issues with it again (not the same ones at least).

Also, my video card fan had died about a month ago as well. I just replaced it last week. I know, it did take me too long to replace it but I had nixed gaming until I replaced it. And, the whole time I was computing without the fan I had been watching the temps religiously, and it never got too hot (according to nvidia's control panel temp sensor). By that I mean it never went over about 72 degrees C.

Any help/ideas would be great as I cant think of any.

AMD 64 3200
1GB RAM OCZ Dual Channel
Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939
300GB SATA Seagate HDD
BFG nVidia 5700 FX Ultra 128MB AGP
New KB is a Logitech G11, which is USB

Everything is running normal, no overclocking here.

Looks like a dead / dying video card to me, try reseating the fan / heatsink with a fresh application of thermal compound.

Also, if possible, try the card in a different pc or a different card in your pc.

I thoroughly cleaned and reseated everything. Lets see how it goes.

Yesterday when it crashed, this time one of my monitors when in standby and the other one had that garbled image. The 2nd monitor shutdown as if there was no output at all.

(I forgot to mention I have dual LCDs)

That last crash is making me think my video card is on its way out, we shall see.

After the cleaning I left it on. It has been on since, and no crash. Hopefully dirty contacts, and just not seated right was the culprit.

Well, glad that worked. I might have needed a fresh coat of thermal paste and that's it.

Back
Top Bottom