In Runtime

Send a message via AIM to nickelodeonn
Default Video-Out questions.

I have this motherboard
ASUS M4A785TD-M EVO

and this graphics card
http://reviews.cnet.com/graphics-car...-32114240.html

and a VGA cable.
Will I be able to plug it into my monitor with just the VGA cable? (It says DVI...)

Also, would I be able to get an S-Video cable and plug my computer into my TV? Because under the graphics card specs (http://reviews.cnet.com/graphics-car...=mncolBtm;rnav), it says that there is a TV-Out / HDTV out slot... how would I do this?

Old 02-18-2010, 10:46 AM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Video-Out questions.

That graphics card has DVI-I outputs so your gonna need a DVI to VGA converter/cable.

You could connect the TV via the DVI-I connectors or the S-Video connector. Depends on the input connections on the said TV.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:01 AM   #3
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remeniz View Post
That graphics card has DVI-I outputs so your gonna need a DVI to VGA converter/cable.

You could connect the TV via the DVI-I connectors or the S-Video connector. Depends on the input connections on the said TV.
See, I just pulled this card out of my dad's computer..

I'll ask him if he still has the drivers, S-Video cable, or DVI to VGA converter,... and if he has any anti-static bags!!!!!

I would probably just hook it up to a huge TV if I could, which is down in my basement. It isn't HDTV, just big and flat-panel-ish. Would that work? It has the yellow-white-red cables in the back...

Would the sound come out that way, too?

I'll ask my dad if he has any of that stuff still...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=180402635956
$.99 converter?
Old 02-18-2010, 01:57 PM   #4
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelodeonn View Post
...I'll ask him if he still has the drivers...
ATI Drivers. Just select the OS, Type of product then the model number of the card and download.

Quote:
I would probably just hook it up to a huge TV if I could, which is down in my basement. It isn't HDTV, just big and flat-panel-ish. Would that work? It has the yellow-white-red cables in the back...
You could connect to the TV via S-VHS connector. Its a much better signal than composite video will provide (yellow connector). See if the TV has SCART connectors in the rear (21 pin) or an S-VHS input on the front. (Small 4 pin DIN)

Quote:
Would the sound come out that way, too?
You will need separate leads to carry the audio from the card to the TV/Monitor.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:27 PM   #5
In Runtime

Quote:
You could connect to the TV via S-VHS connector. Its a much better signal than composite video will provide (yellow connector). See if the TV has SCART connectors in the rear (21 pin) or an S-VHS input on the front. (Small 4 pin DIN)

You will need separate leads to carry the audio from the card to the TV/Monitor.
Could you dumb it down a bit for me?

What would I need to do that?
http://www.amazon.com/GOLD-PLATED-S-...6521296&sr=1-4

or this...

http://www.amazon.com/S-VIDEO-3-RCA-...6521516&sr=1-2

Do you think I'll have any video card problems w/ drivers if I have linux?
Old 02-18-2010, 02:39 PM   #6
Fully Optimized

Your graphics card has S-VHS output - The small 4 pin DIN connector in the middle of the two DVI-I connectors. (Hold this thought)

Modern-ish TV's have multiple inputs. The RF input (forget this!), SCART connectors (These 21 pin connectors feature lots of different audio/video inputs/outputs), and usually connectors on the front (maybe under a flap and will include S-VHS input, Composite Video-Yellow and Audio inputs-Red/White connectors). Plasma, LCD and the LED monitors would connect straight to the DVI-I connectors.

You could connect from the S-VHS output on the card to a SCART or to the front panel S-VHS input using something like this kit which features an S-VHS to S-VHS lead, SCART adaptor and audio leads.

EDIT:

The first link is the S-VHS to S-VHS lead but you might need the SCART adaptor and audio leads too. The kit in the link I posted would be perfect.

And here's the Linux driver for the card.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:59 PM   #7
Omnicide now.

You can't use a SDTV as a monitor. It will be unreadable and the picture will be awful.
foothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:41 PM   #8
In Runtime

Wow.

Very helpful

SUPER helpful

And I think I'll just stick with the monitor for now, and my dad said he had that adapter or w/e, I'm sure he'll give it to me and as for anti-static bags, he said that they should be fine in just bags because they're old...?
Old 02-18-2010, 09:27 PM   #9
Omnicide now.

WTF is he talking about?

The fact that they are old would mean the antistatic bags would be more necessary.
foothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:04 AM   #10
Golden Master

Quote:
...SCART connectors (These 21 pin connectors feature lots of different audio/video inputs/outputs), and usually connectors on the front (maybe under a flap and will include S-VHS input, Composite Video-Yellow and Audio inputs-Red/White connectors). Plasma, LCD and the LED monitors would connect straight to the DVI-I connectors.

You could connect from the S-VHS output on the card to a SCART or to the front panel S-VHS input using something like this kit which features an S-VHS to S-VHS lead, SCART adaptor and audio leads.

EDIT:

The first link is the S-VHS to S-VHS lead but you might need the SCART adaptor and audio leads too. The kit in the link I posted would be perfect.
He's in the United States. We've never used that as a widespread connection method.

Send comments, suggestions and criticisms.
↳ 01001010listens@gmail.com
01001010 is offline   Reply With Quote