Video Memory Question

ace777

Fully Optimized
This is probably going to sound like a stupid question to you experts because I am just now starting out. But I am planning to install a new video card and I know it is compatible with my computer and previously on older computers that I have worked with I tried puting new RAM in it and It was about 64 MB over the limit and It fried any way I was wondering if the same is true for Video memory if there is a limit to the amount you can have , if it draws to much power and explodes. What do I need to be careful of and any help is appreciated

As far as I understood you are just trying to install a new vid card?
If so then just make sure that the power supply has enough juice to support the vid card. (you should see the power supply specs on a sticker that is glued to the side of the power supply) And ground yourself (just touch a metal part of the case) before touching the parts to make sure that static electricity doesn't fry the parts.

And as for the part where you managed to make a computer fry by putting more ram in. Well I don't know how you managed that. If you have too much ram in the mobo it shouldn't do any real damage, it just probably wouldn't recognize the ram.

Well I took It to A friend of mine and this is a really old computer . It was a compaq with 233Mhz and 32 RAM I put 128 RAM and It was a little over what it could handle. And he said that that was my problem We reset the battery by switching the jumpers and It would he said this would reset it (BIOS I think is what he said).And it wouldn't even bring up the stats for the computer .So I figured that was the problem ,It just fried from the RAM needing to much juice.

That just doesnt sound right. Ive never heard of a mobo being fried by adding more RAM. Unless you have installed it incorrectly, and shorted something then i dont think it could happen. Is ya PSU working ok?

Yes He said the power supply it required to run actually fried It and we heard sizzling when I put the new card in.but It was actting like it wanted to start. Maybe I blew Something else? I was going to put in a diffrent Video Card I have because the monitor ( when started up ) actted like it was asleep or on standby.

Which video card was it, and what wattage was the PSU? If you are trying to install a 8800GTX on a 250W PSU, the PSU will go boom...

I am not sure, how can you tell? This is a video card from a older computer so it should work.

i have seen a stick of ram fry a motherboard.... but that was simply cuz the customer decided to put a dead stick (it had fried on his old board) into his new one.

as for Video card ram, no, i don't think there is a limit.

I don't know and thisis an old computer I can Try and fix myself if I can but I appreciate the help
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom