video glitchy in vista

home premium, I think it has something to do with avi files because wmv s run fine even with aero on.

Well, avi and wmv files use different types of compression, so it's possible that decompressing the avi takes more power than decompressing the wmv, hence the slowdown.

I have an Athlon 64 3500+, 3GB RAM, GeForce 7800 GTX, and my games lag way more than they used to. Videos seem to play fine and my sound is all fuzzy and glitched because I have to run off of a beta driver for my Sound Blaster Audigy2. Copying large amounts of files can take up to 90-100% of my memory.

So you are not alone in experiencing problems. If I have slowdown, then yours must be horrible. I would definitely consider a large scale upgrade. It doesn't help that Vista is glitchy and in need of bug fixing, and 3rd party software vendors need to release new stable applications for Vista.

I'm gonna upgrade this summer, at least my CPU, Motherboard and RAM because it's pissing me off how slow it is. I suggest you do the same.

I had some problems with video playback as well in Vista. For me it had to do with codecs and I went and researched for the best "all-inclusive codecs package", but for the life of me I can't remember where I got them ... or what they were called. I do remember learning about it on Vista's newsgroup via Microsoft. I didn't read anywhere in this thread suggesting codecs being a cause of your problem, so I thought I'd share my experience.

was it klite codec pack?

Also has anyone else had problems with nvidia drivers in vista not detecting the hardware. This could be part of my problem.

I am still having the same problem it also happens qith movie maker which I have been using alot lately. but I am planning to upgrade to 1.25GB ram shortly would that fix the problem , the rest of the system is on the reccomended specs for vista (1GHZ, 40GB, 1GB)

Ive found with vista on my systems that you need a good graphics card to go with the RAM aswell. If your running aero with a crap GPU then it will put more stress on the RAM, were as if you have a decent GPU then it takes some of the pressure off the RAM, which frees it up for other tasks.

Its never gonna run brilliantly on that system tho, i had the exact same processor as you about 4-5 years ago, and it would run XP with no probs, but vista is a bit to much of a beast for that system to handle IMO. It will work, but not to the performance level that you have got used to with XP.

so your saying that videos will never play the way they should?

I think its partly because of the file dwm.exe desktop window manager also using alot of cpu when watching videos too.

Back
Top Bottom