Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 12-27-2011, 08:46 AM   #1
Beta Member

Question Video Card Upgrade

Hello,
I want to apologize ahead of time for my lack of knowledge; I'm fairly new to the whole computer tech thing. I am looking to upgrade the video card in this pc. Newegg.com - Gateway FX Series FX6840-21 Desktop PC Intel Core i5 650(3.20GHz) 8GB DDR3 1TB HDD Capacity ATI Radeon HD 5570 Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Could someone make some suggestions? I have no clue what I'm looking for. I mostly use this computer for mmo and fps gaming and it would be nice to play on settings higher than low. My budget is limited to $275. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Again, sorry for the lack of information.

Nick B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:03 AM   #2
xxcobraxx

Default Re: Video Card Upgrade

you've got

Newegg.com - GeForce GTX 560 Ti

or better by just abit

Newegg.com - Radeon HD 6950

IAntDemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:15 AM   #3
Fully Optimized

I agree, the 6950 in this case would probably be best, as it offers the ability to work with your existing power supply. The Ti 560 should also be ok, but a lot of the ones I have seen want 550+ watts on the power supply, and yours comes with just a 500 watt. That being said however, the 6950 is a beast - a friend of mine has it and he loves it.

Welcome to CF, and no, lack of knowledge is not something to apologize for. Everyone starts somewhere.
Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:43 AM   #4
Beta Member

Question Re: Video Card Upgrade

Awesome. Thanks for the help guys. I was going to choose EVGA 01G-P3-1561-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti Free Performance Boost Video Card - 1GB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.0 (x16), Dual DVI, HDMI, DirectX 11, SLI Ready at TigerDirect.com but then I saw this card for $5 more. EVGA 01G-P3-1563-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti SuperClocked Video Card - 1GB, GDDR5, Overclocked, PCI-Express 2.0 (x16), Dual DVI, HDMI, DirectX 11, SLI Ready at TigerDirect.com Would it be worth spending a little extra for the second card? Thanks!
Nick B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:06 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

It's a slight bump in clock speeds, so unless you feel as though you can't accomplish the same thing yourself on the lower end card (the cheaper one) then buy the more expensive one, but I think you'll probably be able to swing it, so there's no reason to spend the extra money in this case.
Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote