Video Card Upgrade

The X1600 XT doesn't eat up much power. The architecture isn't as power hungry compared to the R580. :p

Ask X1337. He has a X1600 Pro.

Look closely at your powersupply, there should be labels on it that will tell you how many watts the Power supply is.

yea the wiring in that dell is very messy , clean it up for better air flow. Just unplug one thing at a time and you should be fine.

yeah, it's messy. But it's not dell. its an HP

EDIT: Before I get a new video card, I'm going to have to upgrade my PSU. It's only 300W. How do i know what size it is? I think it's ATX. Any recommendations for wattage?

Yeah, I thought so. I dunno about the wattage, that's really guesswork for me. I would say probably around 400-450 just to be safe, I guess. If it's a low power card you won't need much for just one. I dunno about your other components. Most power supplies are ATX, but check just to make sure. It should say what kind you have on the label.

I think 300W is the minimum for X1600XTs. You could try it out (I'm assuming that it wouldn't fry anything), but I'd really recommend replacing that power supply. Who knows, though...my 7800GT was running off of 14 amps on the 12V rail perfectly fine, and I was supposed to have 18 minimum. Though after about 8 months, my PSU blew, but I wouldn't think that that's the reason because it was running so well... Whatever. Assuming that it wouldn't fry anything (I'm sorry that I have limited knowledge of PSUs), I'd definitely give it a shot before spending ~$100 or $75 on a good PSU. I remember hearing 300W from somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom