video card for Toshiba satellite

1280 x 1024 is the most you'll get through vga.

That is just flat-out wrong. I had my media center hooked up to my HDTV via VGA for a long time and it was more than capable of doing 1920x1080. The picture was pretty good too.

The only things that currently limits the resolution for any kind of connection is the video card and the device connected to it.

telling you vga laptop connection to a tv you will get 1220. I know the full potential is 2048 but in reality it never happens. all get your laptop and plug in your vga and connect it to your lcd just for a laugh and you'll see.
I might of missed something but we were not on about media centres, thats a whole different thing. Thread creator wants to get a good picture from his laptop through his vga. the fact is he wont because its not designed to give quality. and if he wants to spend money it can be done. however, a cheaper and easier alternative is to buy a £25 dvd player with a hdmi and a usb and use his pen drive. I answered his question about the picture quality and gave him what is actually his cheapest option. You have more than 20,000 posts between you all but do you actually have much knowledge of laptops??
I dont really see anyone else giving him actual working advice, other than advice he doesn't want like getting a second rate picture.
Off to the pub for the England game :)

^My laptop is plugged into VGA... No issues at all and i never notice a difference between VGA and DVI...

And yes, I have knowledge of laptops, and apparently more experience with hooking them up to VGA, HDMI and DVI than you do. I've been doing this as a job for years.

How are we not helping? You are suggesting he buy things he doesn't even need. what he has video output wise will work. Odds are his TV does have VGA which means much less for him to buy (notice he said he was trying to spend as little as possible).

If it doesn't there are still options for him that work without spending as much as DVD player with use. Assuming he has the needed cables (the ones needed tend to ship with most TV's) these will work perfectly for him: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9193&cm_re=vga_to_hdmi-_-82-339-193-_-Product and http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...165&cm_re=3.5mm_to_rca-_-82-021-165-_-Product

telling you vga laptop connection to a tv you will get 1220. I know the full potential is 2048 but in reality it never happens. all get your laptop and plug in your vga and connect it to your lcd just for a laugh and you'll see.
I might of missed something but we were not on about media centres, thats a whole different thing. Thread creator wants to get a good picture from his laptop through his vga. the fact is he wont because its not designed to give quality. and if he wants to spend money it can be done. however, a cheaper and easier alternative is to buy a £25 dvd player with a hdmi and a usb and use his pen drive. I answered his question about the picture quality and gave him what is actually his cheapest option. You have more than 20,000 posts between you all but do you actually have much knowledge of laptops??
I dont really see anyone else giving him actual working advice, other than advice he doesn't want like getting a second rate picture.
Off to the pub for the England game :)
Look, you're wrong. You're laptop is the limiting factor, it's video card most likely only supports that resolution. I've had my laptop hooked up to my monitor running at 1920x1080, through a VGA. You do not know what you're talking about, how dare you tell us that we don't have knowledge of laptops when you are clearly wrong.

You are pardoned neodude.
1280 x 1024 is the most you'll get through vga.
even putting on a dvi to vga connector on my ati 4800 makes my full hd 1080p flatron 22" monitor defualt to this resolution, i normally have it on 1920 x 1080.
i get countless people ask me almost everyday how they can make the picture better when using there vga on there laptop and the answer is there is no cheap solution. vga was not designed for hd,
hence the name VGA, video graphics.
DVI digital visual

I Have my Toshiba Satellite A210 (Which has a Radeon X1200),just a couple models up from the OP's laptop and i currently have it hooked up to my Monitor through the VGA Output and i have it running at 1920x1080 and it looks fine....

So to the OP,Just use the VGA Output and you'll be all sweet...

Your all saying its plugged into monitors not 32" or bigger lcd tv's. A good quality tv will limit the reolution to suit the quality of the feed. minimum hd quality of 1280.

sorry if i pissed a few people off with this i didnt mean too but probably 90% or more of laptops have crappy bga's. so many people struggle to get a good picture and most people that ask me actually cant even full screen it.
they buy things like vga to s video cables thinking it will sort it and in actual fact its stays exactly the same.
lets see what happens when TC uses his VGA........
Some interesting facts below, obviously ripped from a webpage. It confirms what i have been saying, and more.

Taken from page http://www.ehow.com/facts_5028663_vga-resolution.html

VGA stands for Video Graphics Array. The most prolific video resolution and connection standard available, VGA can be found in computing, TVs, gaming and now wireless devices. It forms the basis for every resolution that followed, including so-called high definition, or HD.

1. IBM pioneered VGA in 1987, when it first saw use on its then-dominant IBM PC models. This was a major breakthrough, since VGA doubled the resolution available to computers and easily outpaced previous standards such as CGA and Hercules, which were low res and could only display a few colors at once.
Features
2. The original VGA protocol called for a resolution of 640X480 pixels and a total of 256 available colors. Soon after, VGA resolutions went up to 800X600, becoming the base setting for Windows operating systems until the early 2000s. VGA refresh rates go up to 75Hz, making it suitable to analog displays such as CRT monitors.
Considerations
3. It's important to distinguish between VGA video and VGA adapters, as these may refer to two different things. VGA video confers a resolution of no more than 800X600, while the VGA adapter is a generic concept that supports a host of resolutions much higher than the original specs.
Identification
4. VGA adapters can be easily spotted as square D shapes with 15 pins. Most of them come colored blue for easy identification, and correspond with blue connectors on the back of computers and TVs.
Misconceptions
5. Over the course of the 1990s, IBM and other developers built on the base VGA definition to create higher resolutions--these resulted in the birth of XGA, XVGA and other "Super VGA" standards. Resolutions went up to 1920X1080 on the original VGA adapter, far exceeding the initial protocol. However, all these came to be collectively known as "VGA," leading to some confusion.
Potential
6. Debate arose as to whether VGA counts as HD. The answer also relates to the acronym's transition from specific standard to catch-all identifier. While the original VGA specifications of 640X480 and 800X600 do not count as HD, subsequent iterations do, as HD starts at 1280X780 pixel per frame

A good quality tv will limit the reolution to suit the quality of the feed.

What are you going on about? A TV Wont downscale,only upscale. The only time a TV Will Downscale (And this is only some TV's) is when the input is feeding a signal to it that has a higher resolution than what the TV Supports.

Why are you quoting facts when i have already stated the truth? A VGA Cable is capable of outputting 1920x1080 to a TV/Monitor. I Have done it,friends have done it and members on here will back me up on it.

The Satellite A205 Has an Intel Media Accelerator X3100,which may not be the best for gaming,it is more than capable of outputting 1080p. It's maximum resolution is 2048x1586. A VGA Cable infact doesnt have a Maximum resolution. Obviously the higher the resolution the worse the image quality,but 1080p will look fine.

Your all saying its plugged into monitors not 32" or bigger lcd tv's. A good quality tv will limit the reolution to suit the quality of the feed. minimum hd quality of 1280.

sorry if i pissed a few people off with this i didnt mean too but probably 90% or more of laptops have crappy bga's. so many people struggle to get a good picture and most people that ask me actually cant even full screen it.
they buy things like vga to s video cables thinking it will sort it and in actual fact its stays exactly the same.
lets see what happens when TC uses his VGA........
Some interesting facts below, obviously ripped from a webpage. It confirms what i have been saying, and more.

Taken from page http://www.ehow.com/facts_5028663_vga-resolution.html

VGA stands for Video Graphics Array. The most prolific video resolution and connection standard available, VGA can be found in computing, TVs, gaming and now wireless devices. It forms the basis for every resolution that followed, including so-called high definition, or HD.

1. IBM pioneered VGA in 1987, when it first saw use on its then-dominant IBM PC models. This was a major breakthrough, since VGA doubled the resolution available to computers and easily outpaced previous standards such as CGA and Hercules, which were low res and could only display a few colors at once.
Features
2. The original VGA protocol called for a resolution of 640X480 pixels and a total of 256 available colors. Soon after, VGA resolutions went up to 800X600, becoming the base setting for Windows operating systems until the early 2000s. VGA refresh rates go up to 75Hz, making it suitable to analog displays such as CRT monitors.
Considerations
3. It's important to distinguish between VGA video and VGA adapters, as these may refer to two different things. VGA video confers a resolution of no more than 800X600, while the VGA adapter is a generic concept that supports a host of resolutions much higher than the original specs.
Identification
4. VGA adapters can be easily spotted as square D shapes with 15 pins. Most of them come colored blue for easy identification, and correspond with blue connectors on the back of computers and TVs.
Misconceptions
5. Over the course of the 1990s, IBM and other developers built on the base VGA definition to create higher resolutions--these resulted in the birth of XGA, XVGA and other "Super VGA" standards. Resolutions went up to 1920X1080 on the original VGA adapter, far exceeding the initial protocol. However, all these came to be collectively known as "VGA," leading to some confusion.
Potential
6. Debate arose as to whether VGA counts as HD. The answer also relates to the acronym's transition from specific standard to catch-all identifier. While the original VGA specifications of 640X480 and 800X600 do not count as HD, subsequent iterations do, as HD starts at 1280X780 pixel per frame

Did you even read that? If you're too stupid or lazy to read it all, then I will highlight the important things.

See?

Back
Top Bottom