Video card or something else?

Tommylcl

Baseband Member
First a little back story: I have no luck with video cards. About 3 months ago I had to buy another 4870 because the one that came with my computer I ordered was defective. I was getting artifacts and my computer was crashing, long story short, I replaced the video card myself and problem solved.

Now for my current problem. Yesterday, I was playing some WoW when all of a sudden my monitor seemingly "turned off". So I pressed the power button to realize that the monitor was still on as the light was green. "That is very strange I thought" but never put much mind to it as I pressed the button twice (switched from on to off to on again) and low and behold there was my normal screen. About 10 minutes later, the same thing happened again, and from there it got progressively worse and worse. Now it is at the point where I hit the switch twice and I get picture for 1 second before it turns off again.

Having very very very little hardware experience myself, I replaced my video card with my old one that was defective and I had the exact same problem.

Here is the tricky part though, my mother board screen (the one that I think runs off of the integrated graphics in the mobo?) at startup, works fine (the display itself lasts a good 5 seconds). But as soon as it gets past that screen my display goes black and the problem continues.

Could this be a power supply issue? Could it be the PCI slot? I have yet to put my video card in my other PCI slot on my mobo (there are two slots).

Anyways, I hope I have given enough info on my problem.

Maybe I'm crazy, but it sounds like a problem with the monitor. Have you tried using a different video cable as a test?

No I have yet to try that. I work in about 20 minutes, but when I get home I will be testing it on my lcd tv. Obviously if I am not having problems with the tv it is my monitor right?

Edit: The one thing that leads me to believe it is not my monitor however, is the fact that my motherboard display on startup works fine, as the screen lasts for about 5 seconds. I am hopefully wrong however as I was planning on buying a new monitor soon :p. Oh and my monitor is only 1 year old, its a Hanns-G 22" flat screen monitor.

No I have yet to try that. I work in about 20 minutes, but when I get home I will be testing it on my lcd tv. Obviously if I am not having problems with the tv it is my monitor right?

That would probably be a safe assumption, but I would test the monitor with a different cable before buying a new monitor just in case. New video cables are a lot cheaper...

Back
Top Bottom