Video Card Ruined?

fetus

In Runtime
My video card was overheating recently but I've put a house fan next to the case as a temporary precaution until I can install a new heatsink. Yet when playing a game like CS:S I start to lag like crazy despite my temperatures being drastically lower with the fan propped up next to the case. Before I used the fan my temps were in excess of 90C and up to 100C, now they're in the mid to low 80's but the game just lags like crazy after maybe 10 minutes of play. Could the prior overheating have damaged the card? I thought the 6800 series was able to withstand more than that...(I have an XFX 6800GT).

Run 3dmark 05 or even o6 and if your card can go through the tests then it's fine. If not...

If your card was ruined, it wouldn't be showing anything at all. However, those temps aren't looking good. What you may need to do is apply more thermal paste. Your heatsink is probably perfectly fine. As well as the fan on the heatsink. YOu need to probably get more thermal paste. Shouldn't cost much, get some Artic Silver 5 thermal paste, that will be a HUGE improvement. Definetly worth it. :)

Back
Top Bottom