Video card question

skylinegtr

Baseband Member
Hey guys,
I just have a quick question regarding video cards. I have a 250watt power supply, it came with the computer and i dont really feel like changing it. But the video card i am interested in is a ATI 9800 Pro All in wonder 128mb and it says it needs a minimum of a 300 watt power supply. Would i be able to run it with my current set up or would i need to upgrade the power supply. If so what is the average price on a power supply. Also what watt power supply would be good. Im guessing around a 350watt? And is replacing the power supply basically a drop in replacement? As you can probably tell i am not much of a computer guy anymore, more of a car guy.

Thanks
Chris

I gues it would work, but the vid card and the other parts wouldn't get as much power as they need and wouldn't work to their full potential. Also that would mean that the PSU would need to work 100% all the time, which would put huge stress on it and eventually destroy it.

So I'd get a new psu, something like 450W because then u have some room for future upgrades, and it's not smart to have the psu running at 100% all the time. And they cost something like $80. Check www.newegg.com, they have very good prices in there.

hey,
thanks for the reply, my computer is a pretty basic system, nothing special, and the only thing i planned on upgrading is the video card. With that being said, i am looking at a power supply from a local site http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=111107127&vpn=ATX-400-PN-B&manufacture=SPARKLE POWER INC
thats the link, and i am wondering would that work? i know someone said with me having a amd 64 bit system i will need a 24 pin for my mobo? not to sure if someone could verify that

Thanks
Chris

skylinegtr said:
i know someone said with me having a amd 64 bit system i will need a 24 pin for my mobo? not to sure if someone could verify that

Thanks
Chris

Look at ur mobo and see how many pins the connection has. But it shouldn't really matter, most mobos which have 24 pins also work perfectly with a 20 pin connection. And if it doesn't u can get a converter (doesn't cost much) that changes the pins from 20 to 24.

Im taking you live in BC or vancouver WOOOOOOOOOOOO. Me too. Ya dfenatly get a 400-450 watt psu. And i suggest the 6600gt instead of the 9800 pro. It Kills it.

Back
Top Bottom