Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 11-26-2005, 02:41 AM   #1
Baseband Member

Send a message via MSN to skylinegtr
Default Video card question

Hey guys,
I just have a quick question regarding video cards. I have a 250watt power supply, it came with the computer and i dont really feel like changing it. But the video card i am interested in is a ATI 9800 Pro All in wonder 128mb and it says it needs a minimum of a 300 watt power supply. Would i be able to run it with my current set up or would i need to upgrade the power supply. If so what is the average price on a power supply. Also what watt power supply would be good. Im guessing around a 350watt? And is replacing the power supply basically a drop in replacement? As you can probably tell i am not much of a computer guy anymore, more of a car guy.

Thanks
Chris

amd 64 3200, 512mb ram, 200gb hd.
skylinegtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 03:39 AM   #2
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to mammikoura
Default Re: Video card question

I gues it would work, but the vid card and the other parts wouldn't get as much power as they need and wouldn't work to their full potential. Also that would mean that the PSU would need to work 100% all the time, which would put huge stress on it and eventually destroy it.

So I'd get a new psu, something like 450W because then u have some room for future upgrades, and it's not smart to have the psu running at 100% all the time. And they cost something like $80. Check www.newegg.com, they have very good prices in there.

Old 11-26-2005, 03:07 PM   #3
Baseband Member

Send a message via MSN to skylinegtr

hey,
thanks for the reply, my computer is a pretty basic system, nothing special, and the only thing i planned on upgrading is the video card. With that being said, i am looking at a power supply from a local site http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...%20POWER%20INC
thats the link, and i am wondering would that work? i know someone said with me having a amd 64 bit system i will need a 24 pin for my mobo? not to sure if someone could verify that

Thanks
Chris

amd 64 3200, 512mb ram, 200gb hd.
skylinegtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 03:13 PM   #4
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to mammikoura

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinegtr
i know someone said with me having a amd 64 bit system i will need a 24 pin for my mobo? not to sure if someone could verify that

Thanks
Chris
Look at ur mobo and see how many pins the connection has. But it shouldn't really matter, most mobos which have 24 pins also work perfectly with a 20 pin connection. And if it doesn't u can get a converter (doesn't cost much) that changes the pins from 20 to 24.
Old 11-26-2005, 03:54 PM   #5
In Runtime

Im taking you live in BC or vancouver WOOOOOOOOOOOO. Me too. Ya dfenatly get a 400-450 watt psu. And i suggest the 6600gt instead of the 9800 pro. It Kills it.