Video Card Problems - Funny Lines in Gaming - artifiacts

blues45

Solid State Member
Video Card Problems - Funny Lines in Gaming - artifiacts

I'm getting problems like these in my games now out of no where

i've seen them before when i was playin Quake 4, but i jus toned down the graphics and it was gone, but now im gettin them in games that shouldn't have them like CS:S and FIFA06

forgot what this was called since i've seen them before

any ideas on how to fix them? - specs

A64 3400+ s939
MSI RS482M2/RX482M2 (MS-7093)
1GB PC3200 DDR SDRAM
ATI Radeon x800gto 256mb PCI-E

had this running with no problems since december when i bought the card, checked that the fan is still running fine

temps:
Motherboard 40 °C (104 °F)
CPU 35 °C (95 °F)
GPU 44 °C (111 °F)
GPU Ambient 43 °C (109 °F)
Seagate ST3200826A 37 °C (99 °F)

what can i do, RMA possible without original box, but still have original receipt, or can i go back to the original store i got it from in december?

CS.bmp

untitled.bmp

Well, I suppose you have one of two problems. One, defective card. Or two, your graphics card is over heating.

I had an over heating problem, and this is what it looked like..

So, what I did is just not play as much at once time. Solved it all.

If you possibly still have the UPC code off the back of the box (bar code) you can take it back. Or even go there, say you got this in December, and they can look up your name and you can return it. Maybe.

However, that graphics card shouldnt be having this sort of a problem.

First off, a hint, please post pics in the forum in the .jpg format, bitmaps are too big and take ages to load.

Your temps are all fine, what Catalyst drivers are you running, they have been a bit dodgy since 6.4 so try reverting to 6.4, if the problem persists even after changing drivers then I would approach the vendor with your problem and receipt in the first instance, failing a satisfactory result there I would RMA to ATi

The problem looks to be failing video memory to me.

hmm, my catalyst control center is version 1.2.2243.38605

can i go back to my vendor without the original box?, but still have the receipt would RMA work in this instance as well?

nothing i can do, haven't played games in about 2 months and played yesterday it worked fine, it was today that it started doing this

As far as I know the receipt would be sufficient, may vary depending on your loaction (country) as the receipt is "proof of purchase"

The fact that the error is intermittent would point to a faulty card, but to satisfy yourself I would suggest d/loading and installing the Cat 6.4's and giving them a run, if the problem still persists it's RMA time whether via the vendor or to ATi direct will depend on the vendors resonse imo

did my vid card overheat?

how did this happen, arctic silencer seems to be working fine

DSCN2504.JPG

DSCN2505.JPG

DSCN25062.JPG

You do realise that by disassembling the cooler you may have voided your warranty, yes? Seeming as this may now be the case you have two options, discard the pads entirely and apply new compound or try to reassemble it to normal and RMA the card

EDIT: If you are not concerned about further RMA the best bet is to clean all surfaces with a 99.9% isopropyl alcohol solution, reapply the thermal compound (this link is cpu and AS5 specific but the application method applies to gpu as well, any 99.9% silver based thermal compound will do and I recommend it over silicon based compounds) How to apply AS5

There are heat cycles to be run before the thermal compound reaches maximum effectiveness (power on, usage, shut down and cool, power on again, approx 200 hours will be sufficient)

Try that and see if it corrects the issues you're having, I now revise my previous thoughts regarding your problem, and would suggest with this new information, that the cooler and gpu are lacking a perfect contact on the mating surfaces.

The two exposed memory chips you have circled are lacking thermal pads, they're probably afixed to the cooler. (yes they are along with the gpu pad, as depicted in the picture.)

Honestly, that looks like a software error and not a hardware error. Overheating looks different.

hmm, ill try the AS5, or maybe its a simple software problem, reinstall drivers... omega drivers help?

either way, RMA is no longer an option since i realized i dont even have the original fan... man i gotta start keeping things better

I'd try the 6.4's for starters, Omegas may help but they're usually tweaked for performance.

Either way you will need to reapply the thermal compound, the pads will now be next to useless. I'm thinking if you used the original pads instead of new compound when you installed the new cooler that that is where your problem may lie.

Back
Top Bottom