Video Card Problem

Milkandrelish

Solid State Member
Hey guys, I just got my new Dell E520.

I tried to install my old nVidia 6800 256 MB Ultra GTO card into it (previously had it in a dell 8400), but it was HARD to get in. I had to bend its housing with plyers a few times just to get it to fit in. Now, it's finally fitting into the slot but its a bit crooked. It works fine and I installed the drivers, but I get a warning from nVidia that the device is not recieving sufficient power and is, therefore, lowering its performance to accomodate.

I was wondering if this is because the E520 power supply isn't strong enough or is it that the card isnt in the slot snug enough?

Thanks,
Eli

Do you have the auxillary 4 pin molex connector connected to the video card?

You had to bend it?? Never NEVER take a pair of plyers to a piece of hardware. You're lucky it even works.

Is the 4-pin thing the little section of gold strip separated a bit from the rest of them?

If so, yes, but it is only like 3/4 in. Although I cannot see the pins, the video card (what I mean by bent) is higher on the 4-pin side than the other side.

I only used pliers for the silvery-metal part where the DVI-D outlets are sticking out, because I think the problem is it physically won't fit, and the PCI-slot sheets are the reason for it.

I dont understand what ya mean, you shouldnt have any problems fitting it, and if it wont go straight in then chances are its not meant to.

Milkandrelish said:
Is the 4-pin thing the little section of gold strip separated a bit from the rest of them?

If so, yes, but it is only like 3/4 in. Although I cannot see the pins, the video card (what I mean by bent) is higher on the 4-pin side than the other side.

I only used pliers for the silvery-metal part where the DVI-D outlets are sticking out, because I think the problem is it physically won't fit, and the PCI-slot sheets are the reason for it.
The 4 pin power connector is a plug that comes off your power supply. It is the same one that you plug into a cd rom drive or a hard drive. You need to find an unused one on your power supply and plug it into the card (you'll see where it goes), otherwise yes, the card will be low on power.

Not all PCI-E cards have a separte power connection do they?
I sure dont see one on my Radeon X1300 Pro.

Milkandrelish said:
I tried to install my old nVidia 6800 256 MB Ultra GTO card into it (previously had it in a dell 8400), but it was HARD to get in. I had to bend its housing with plyers a few times just to get it to fit in.
Say what ???? :rolleyes:
Raffaz said:
I dont understand what ya mean, you shouldnt have any problems fitting it, and if it wont go straight in then chances are its not meant to.
I'm with you on that one.
The card is PCI-e, I wonder if the clamp was slid back to allow the card to seat properly?
Ocelot said:
Not all PCI-E cards have a separte power connection do they?
I sure dont see one on my Radeon X1300 Pro.
No, but this one does.

gtopic20002smallfd7.jpg

There should be plenty of room in the case for the card (sorry about the pic quality, it's from the Dell website :rolleyes: )

e520ys9.jpg

Tommy Boy said:
The 4 pin power connector is a plug that comes off your power supply. It is the same one that you plug into a cd rom drive or a hard drive.

Also known as a molex connector

Back
Top Bottom