A video card for my boyfriend.

cluelessgf

Beta member
Well, my boyfriend's computer is a close second to me on his Most Important Stuff in Life List.
Two Christmases ago I decided to try my hand at getting him a new graphics card. The Radeon x1950 pro had just come out and since I was able to afford it, it seemed like the best choice.

I now would like to upgrade it for his Christmas present this year. Problem is I've been to the end of the internet and nothing is jumping out as the front-runner for me (this could also be because I don't have $250 to spend on it this year, keep that in mind).

I obviously can't ask him because he'd know what I was up to. So here I am. He's never bought Nvidia, I'm not sure if that's because of their cost or if he just doesn't like them.

Anyway, please make some suggestions. Of course I want the best there is for the money, of which I don't have much. I'd like to keep it under 200.

Two I looked at but couldn't make heads or tails of: Diamond Viper Radeon HD 4850, and Sapphire Radeon HD 4850 currently on sale (big plus) at Newegg til mid December.
Actually it seems those two might be the same freakin exact thing. Idk, just help.

Hey. First of all, wow, a girl that appreciates the fact her boyfriend likes computers, and wants to buy something for it *thumbs up*

You are correct in thinking that they are the same card. They are just manufacturered by different resellers of the same product, by ATI.

The 4850 I'm sure would make a fantastic choice for him, and should last him a good while, as it is a pretty new card, and a good one at that :)

In terms of the reseller you get it from, Sapphire isn't a bad choice at all.

Something to know, is that the resellers don't really usually change much about the card itself, if its from ATI or Nvidia.
They may just change the sticker/fan, add a game as a freebie, and of course offer different warranties, depending on how good the reseller is (if that is the right word).
Some do change parts of the card, to help performance, but not many.
Sapphire though is known, and I have used one of their cards previously with no problems.

Yeah, Asus cards are good too from my knowledge.
Is Sapphire to Asus really worth the extra $10 though?

Thats a very good point...

Hopefully he has a PC with an open window, but is there anyway you can open up the PC if not? A lot of cases nowadays have thumb screws on the sides that can easily be opened with your fingers, simply sliding off the side.

But try to see into it without getting his attention to check for maybe a sticker on the Power Supply, to tell us what wattage it has? It'll either be at the top, or at the bottom, depending on the make of the case.

Neodude has a point that its possible that the graphics card could be too powerful for his system, if he hasn't got the right Power Supply (PSU) to power it.

lol....i dident even think about that one

but if hes into computers, he should already have a good PSU

but just incase, check that out :D

shoot
if she gets him a good card
im sure the dude would have enough $ to get a good PSU to use it
especially from his lady

if i was in his shoes
i know i would :D

btw welcome to the forums

Back
Top Bottom