Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-23-2004, 01:53 PM   #1
Beta Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 5
Default Video Card lacks connection?

Hi,
I have an older somewhat modified Dell xps r400. I would like to change over the video card from an oem 8mb-STB nVidia Velocity ZX card serving my oem 19-inch Dell D1226H monitor, to a 64mb-ATI 7500 Radeon AIW card. I goal it to add TV viewing with video editing and improve game performance. I have but the one AGP slot and no remaining PCI slots available.
My curisosity involves looking at the setup: the monitor has a control card which is connected to the video card via a multi-pinned cable. The much newer ATI card does not have the same cable connection on-board. According to ATI, they say that improvements made in technology are employed onto their card, which does not require hardwiring to the monitor and/or control card.
Does anyone have any experience with such a setup? Any comments would be appreciated. Thank you and Regards,
__________________

parkpointer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 11:52 PM   #2
BSOD
 
bluto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,542
Send a message via ICQ to bluto
Default Re: Video Card lacks connection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkpointer
Hi,
I have an older somewhat modified Dell xps r400. I would like to change over the video card from an oem 8mb-STB nVidia Velocity ZX card serving my oem 19-inch Dell D1226H monitor, to a 64mb-ATI 7500 Radeon AIW card. I goal it to add TV viewing with video editing and improve game performance. I have but the one AGP slot and no remaining PCI slots available.
My curisosity involves looking at the setup: the monitor has a control card which is connected to the video card via a multi-pinned cable. The much newer ATI card does not have the same cable connection on-board. According to ATI, they say that improvements made in technology are employed onto their card, which does not require hardwiring to the monitor and/or control card.
Does anyone have any experience with such a setup? Any comments would be appreciated. Thank you and Regards,
YEs i do.
the monitor has a control card , whats that ?
CRT monitor connections haven't changed in over 10 years.
AGP is probably what a Radion needs,so why is this mentioned ?
ATI.com look for 7500.Check the other options you require.I think you need a lot more than you have explained here for Video editing and games.
Do some homework with mags etc.
__________________

bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 01:58 AM   #3
Beta Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 5
Default Video Card Connections?

bluto,
What can I say, the monitor is connected to the computer video card which is the STB nVidia that I spoke about. The nVidia card is connected via the multi-pin cable to a Cinemaster WDM card in one of the PCI slots. It may not be a controller card, but it is some kind of card.
Regarding the Video editing, I have been trying to get my video camera and my computer married for a while now. According to what I have read about connections between the two, Ati seems to offer the most for the least expense. At least for the beginner.
Since my computer came with agp video, I think that is what I will stay with since I don't have any empty pci slots available. I guess the agp/pci controversary is still being contested, but agp is the only way I can go. ATi might not be the ultimate answer, but I found a reasonably priced 7500 AIW card for just a few dollars. Lots less than other cards. Now maybe ATI isn't the best, but then I'm just getting started in this video arena and games.
I have made some mods to the computer: upgraded cpu from 400 PII to a 1.4ghz PIII, upgraded 8 bit sound for 24 bit sound, upgraded 30gb 100mhz hd for a 133mhz 160gb drive, and went from 128mb to 384mb. Thanks for your comments, they are appreciated!
parkpointer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 11:14 PM   #4
BSOD
 
bluto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,542
Send a message via ICQ to bluto
Default Re: Video Card Connections?

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkpointer
bluto,
What can I say, the monitor is connected to the computer video card which is the STB nVidia that I spoke about. The nVidia card is connected via the multi-pin cable to a Cinemaster WDM card in one of the PCI slots. It may not be a controller card, but it is some kind of card.
Regarding the Video editing, I have been trying to get my video camera and my computer married for a while now. According to what I have read about connections between the two, Ati seems to offer the most for the least expense. At least for the beginner.
Since my computer came with agp video, I think that is what I will stay with since I don't have any empty pci slots available. I guess the agp/pci controversary is still being contested, but agp is the only way I can go. ATi might not be the ultimate answer, but I found a reasonably priced 7500 AIW card for just a few dollars. Lots less than other cards. Now maybe ATI isn't the best, but then I'm just getting started in this video arena and games.
I have made some mods to the computer: upgraded cpu from 400 PII to a 1.4ghz PIII, upgraded 8 bit sound for 24 bit sound, upgraded 30gb 100mhz hd for a 133mhz 160gb drive, and went from 128mb to 384mb. Thanks for your comments, they are appreciated!
Now where getting somewhere,Your best man let you down.
You can't upgrade a 400 p2 cpu to a 1.4 gb cpu.It's a completely different motherboard.
Why did you think a 160 gb HD was needed ? How much are you useing ?
Thats not an upgrade item.
How many PCI slots do you have and why are they all used ?
Most have 6.
Do you really have 2 AGP slots ?

You need to prepare and plan for a P4.
bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 12:32 PM   #5
Baseband Member
 
Compaq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 92
Default

yes you can upgrade a p2 400 to p111 1400mhz there are adaptor packages for sale.

Here in the uk we have a magazine that advertises this product so it is possible. I have no idea what the performance is like but i would be in terested to find out i keep meaning to buy one because i have p2 400 setup that would be ideal.
__________________
oops.
Compaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 11:49 PM   #6
BSOD
 
bluto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,542
Send a message via ICQ to bluto
Default Re: Video Card lacks connection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq
yes you can upgrade a p2 400 to p111 1400mhz there are adaptor packages for sale.

Here in the uk we have a magazine that advertises this product so it is possible. I have no idea what the performance is like but i would be in terested to find out i keep meaning to buy one because i have p2 400 setup that would be ideal.
Sure there is i knew that in 95.Thats why i don't do it,i get a new mbd cpu combo instead.You decide.
__________________

bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0