Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-23-2004, 01:53 PM   #1
Beta Member

Default Video Card lacks connection?

Hi,
I have an older somewhat modified Dell xps r400. I would like to change over the video card from an oem 8mb-STB nVidia Velocity ZX card serving my oem 19-inch Dell D1226H monitor, to a 64mb-ATI 7500 Radeon AIW card. I goal it to add TV viewing with video editing and improve game performance. I have but the one AGP slot and no remaining PCI slots available.
My curisosity involves looking at the setup: the monitor has a control card which is connected to the video card via a multi-pinned cable. The much newer ATI card does not have the same cable connection on-board. According to ATI, they say that improvements made in technology are employed onto their card, which does not require hardwiring to the monitor and/or control card.
Does anyone have any experience with such a setup? Any comments would be appreciated. Thank you and Regards,

parkpointer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 11:52 PM   #2
BSOD

Send a message via ICQ to bluto
Default Re: Video Card lacks connection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkpointer
Hi,
I have an older somewhat modified Dell xps r400. I would like to change over the video card from an oem 8mb-STB nVidia Velocity ZX card serving my oem 19-inch Dell D1226H monitor, to a 64mb-ATI 7500 Radeon AIW card. I goal it to add TV viewing with video editing and improve game performance. I have but the one AGP slot and no remaining PCI slots available.
My curisosity involves looking at the setup: the monitor has a control card which is connected to the video card via a multi-pinned cable. The much newer ATI card does not have the same cable connection on-board. According to ATI, they say that improvements made in technology are employed onto their card, which does not require hardwiring to the monitor and/or control card.
Does anyone have any experience with such a setup? Any comments would be appreciated. Thank you and Regards,
YEs i do.
the monitor has a control card , whats that ?
CRT monitor connections haven't changed in over 10 years.
AGP is probably what a Radion needs,so why is this mentioned ?
ATI.com look for 7500.Check the other options you require.I think you need a lot more than you have explained here for Video editing and games.
Do some homework with mags etc.

bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 01:58 AM   #3
Beta Member

Default Video Card Connections?

bluto,
What can I say, the monitor is connected to the computer video card which is the STB nVidia that I spoke about. The nVidia card is connected via the multi-pin cable to a Cinemaster WDM card in one of the PCI slots. It may not be a controller card, but it is some kind of card.
Regarding the Video editing, I have been trying to get my video camera and my computer married for a while now. According to what I have read about connections between the two, Ati seems to offer the most for the least expense. At least for the beginner.
Since my computer came with agp video, I think that is what I will stay with since I don't have any empty pci slots available. I guess the agp/pci controversary is still being contested, but agp is the only way I can go. ATi might not be the ultimate answer, but I found a reasonably priced 7500 AIW card for just a few dollars. Lots less than other cards. Now maybe ATI isn't the best, but then I'm just getting started in this video arena and games.
I have made some mods to the computer: upgraded cpu from 400 PII to a 1.4ghz PIII, upgraded 8 bit sound for 24 bit sound, upgraded 30gb 100mhz hd for a 133mhz 160gb drive, and went from 128mb to 384mb. Thanks for your comments, they are appreciated!
parkpointer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 11:14 PM   #4
BSOD

Default Re: Video Card Connections?

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkpointer
bluto,
What can I say, the monitor is connected to the computer video card which is the STB nVidia that I spoke about. The nVidia card is connected via the multi-pin cable to a Cinemaster WDM card in one of the PCI slots. It may not be a controller card, but it is some kind of card.
Regarding the Video editing, I have been trying to get my video camera and my computer married for a while now. According to what I have read about connections between the two, Ati seems to offer the most for the least expense. At least for the beginner.
Since my computer came with agp video, I think that is what I will stay with since I don't have any empty pci slots available. I guess the agp/pci controversary is still being contested, but agp is the only way I can go. ATi might not be the ultimate answer, but I found a reasonably priced 7500 AIW card for just a few dollars. Lots less than other cards. Now maybe ATI isn't the best, but then I'm just getting started in this video arena and games.
I have made some mods to the computer: upgraded cpu from 400 PII to a 1.4ghz PIII, upgraded 8 bit sound for 24 bit sound, upgraded 30gb 100mhz hd for a 133mhz 160gb drive, and went from 128mb to 384mb. Thanks for your comments, they are appreciated!
Now where getting somewhere,Your best man let you down.
You can't upgrade a 400 p2 cpu to a 1.4 gb cpu.It's a completely different motherboard.
Why did you think a 160 gb HD was needed ? How much are you useing ?
Thats not an upgrade item.
How many PCI slots do you have and why are they all used ?
Most have 6.
Do you really have 2 AGP slots ?

You need to prepare and plan for a P4.
Old 05-25-2004, 12:32 PM   #5
Baseband Member

yes you can upgrade a p2 400 to p111 1400mhz there are adaptor packages for sale.

Here in the uk we have a magazine that advertises this product so it is possible. I have no idea what the performance is like but i would be in terested to find out i keep meaning to buy one because i have p2 400 setup that would be ideal.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:49 PM   #6
BSOD

Default Re: Video Card lacks connection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq
yes you can upgrade a p2 400 to p111 1400mhz there are adaptor packages for sale.

Here in the uk we have a magazine that advertises this product so it is possible. I have no idea what the performance is like but i would be in terested to find out i keep meaning to buy one because i have p2 400 setup that would be ideal.
Sure there is i knew that in 95.Thats why i don't do it,i get a new mbd cpu combo instead.You decide.