Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-13-2004, 04:30 PM   #1
In Runtime
 
Denier-of-Soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 130
Send a message via AIM to Denier-of-Soup Send a message via MSN to Denier-of-Soup
Unhappy Video card help

Hey everyone,

I'm new to these forums. I found these because I really need some help with a new video card I got. It's a Radeon 9200 128mb, AGP 4x and 8x. The problem is that my motherboard gets until 2x only. I heard that all 8x video cards are backwards compatible, so I just wanted to make sure, will it work on mine?

Thanks in advance,

Denier-of-Soup
__________________

Denier-of-Soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 08:43 PM   #2
Baseband Member
 
loaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 84
Default Re: Video card help

i think it will... but i'm no expert. a good idea is to ask the person/company you got the card from.
__________________

loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 11:49 PM   #3
BSOD
 
bluto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,542
Send a message via ICQ to bluto
Lightbulb Re: Video card help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denier-of-Soup
Hey everyone,

I'm new to these forums. I found these because I really need some help with a new video card I got. It's a Radeon 9200 128mb, AGP 4x and 8x. The problem is that my motherboard gets until 2x only. I heard that all 8x video cards are backwards compatible, so I just wanted to make sure, will it work on mine?

Thanks in advance,

Denier-of-Soup
Yes it will,but i think a mbd/cpu upgrade is next,or should have been your first upgrade.
bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 11:28 AM   #4
In Runtime
 
Denier-of-Soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 130
Send a message via AIM to Denier-of-Soup Send a message via MSN to Denier-of-Soup
Default

Yes, in fact we were just talking about a motherboard and processor upgrade. Anyways thanks for the replies.
Denier-of-Soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 03:01 PM   #5
In Runtime
 
Denier-of-Soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 130
Send a message via AIM to Denier-of-Soup Send a message via MSN to Denier-of-Soup
Default

One more thing, should we install the driver first and then the video card?

Denier-of-Soup
Denier-of-Soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 03:46 PM   #6
In Runtime
 
killerdoberman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 286
Send a message via MSN to killerdoberman Send a message via Yahoo to killerdoberman
Default

Yes it will work.

As for the installation, follow these instructions.

-Uninstall every driver on your system. So the only driver loaded is the genric VGA driver.
-Install the new video card.
-When you startup the computer the first time. Say NO or Don't install windows drivers.
-Ensure that ALL of the old video card drivers are removed.
-Install the ATI drivers. I usually never install graphic card drivers from the CD, because they are usually a couple of revs behind the lastest version. Download the newest driver and run the install.
-Follow the instructions on the screen and that's it.
killerdoberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 06:29 PM   #7
In Runtime
 
Denier-of-Soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 130
Send a message via AIM to Denier-of-Soup Send a message via MSN to Denier-of-Soup
Default

Ok, thanks for the instructions, I needed those a lot
Denier-of-Soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 11:08 PM   #8
BSOD
 
bluto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,542
Send a message via ICQ to bluto
Default Re: Video card help

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerdoberman
Yes it will work.

As for the installation, follow these instructions.

-Uninstall every driver on your system. So the only driver loaded is the genric VGA driver.
-Install the new video card.
-When you startup the computer the first time. Say NO or Don't install windows drivers.
-Ensure that ALL of the old video card drivers are removed.
-Install the ATI drivers. I usually never install graphic card drivers from the CD, because they are usually a couple of revs behind the lastest version. Download the newest driver and run the install.
-Follow the instructions on the screen and that's it.
Lets not confuse,what do you mean Windows drivers.Isn't this a video card ? ?
Surfing the net in 16 or maybe 640 x 480 256 color isn't much fun,so
Use the video cd install,then get the updated drivers,you decide.
But don't do this exept for old video card.
-Uninstall every driver on your system
bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 11:15 PM   #9
BSOD
 
bluto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,542
Send a message via ICQ to bluto
Default Re: Video card help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denier-of-Soup
One more thing, should we install the driver first and then the video card?

Denier-of-Soup
NO NO.
bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 09:54 AM   #10
In Runtime
 
killerdoberman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 286
Send a message via MSN to killerdoberman Send a message via Yahoo to killerdoberman
Default

Windows XP doesn't surf the web at 640x480 x 16. It will adjust the generic VGA driver to run at 800x600 x 256 on a 17 monitor. Other size monitors I don't have personal experience with, so I can't answer the on other sizes.

The VGA driver in Windows XP is MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better then it was in Windows 3.1, which is about the same driver in Windows 98.

So the idea is not to install drivers that you will be deleting or removing in a couple of minutes after downloading the new version.

Remember, uninstalling a program in not 100% effective. There are a couple to many files that remain after a complete uninstall. And we all know that installing and uninstalling a lot of programs does one thing to our computer...it slooowwws it dooooowwwwnn.
__________________

killerdoberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0