video card died?

crespo

Solid State Member
my computer is pretty old and recently my video card gave me an error telling me it can't start. it's a GeForce 4 so do you think it just gave up? the fan is still spinning and that's what's confusing me. I don't know what else to check so any help is appreciated. btw, here's the error:

vidcarderror_1.JPG

Possibly a driver problem. You could try updating the driver, if that doesnt sort it then uninstall the driver in safe mode(press F8 repeatedly when ya boot pc up)and delete the driver in device manager, then restart the pc, and windows will detect and reinstall the driver.

I uninstalled the drivers in safe mode like you said, booted back up, downloaded fresh drivers..then restarted again. and it automatically updated them for me. :) thanks a lot guys. now I feel kind of stupid, I never thought of doing it in safe mode.

ok..now it's being stupid again. after I reinstalled the drivers everything was working fine, till I restarted my computer. now it's like I never even did anything. it's back doing the same thing and giving me that error in the device manager.

could something reset it after I restarted?

I ran spybot and AVG free in safe mode. I cleaned everything in Spybot up, but AVG didn't catch viruses, rather a partition table reading error...and a error in the boot sector of my c: drive.

avgresult.JPG

this is frustrating..I'm about to just delete the whole partition and see if that fixes it.

If ya delete the partition ya will lose everything. Boot from ya XP CD, goto recovery console and run fixmbr restart it. If that dont work try fixboot. And if that dont work wipe it and reinstall lol

Back
Top Bottom