Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-10-2012, 06:04 PM   #1
Beta Member

Default Viable Gaming Laptop?

Hello, so I recently decided against building a desktop or even buying one pre-buillt due to lack of space and my general mobile life. I have a substantial budget of up to $3k (give or take a few hundred) so I have several options on gaming laptops but I have heard a lot of bad things about them. I would like to be able to play games such as Skyrim of BF3 on ultra-max settings while maintaining a smooth fps but I have heard that no laptop can perform this task because the graphics card would continuously overheat and ruin my hardware so the only option to play games with intense gpu/cpu needs would be to build/buy a desktop. Is this true or is there a gaming laptop you might recommend within my price budget?

Bhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:28 AM   #2
Daemon Poster

Default Re: Viable Gaming Laptop?

If you are a serious gamer, and want to get the very best bang for your buck, ...desktop.

If you are a casual gamer, or a gamer who must have portability, ...go laptop.

As for which laptops are recommended, I'd Google that, read reputable reviews, and make my choice.

It's unlikely you'll find anyone, on these or any other forums, who are well versed in gaming laptops.

Hameister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:27 AM   #3
In Runtime

See MaximumPC.com -- they have reviewed several gaming laptops. Hameister has had luck with the Intel HD4000 graphics in his CPU on his laptop.
OS-Wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:40 AM   #4
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OS-Wiz View Post
See MaximumPC.com -- they have reviewed several gaming laptops. Hameister has had luck with the Intel HD4000 graphics in his CPU on his laptop.

That's true, see... The Thread

Check out post #252....you'll also see numerous posts on this laptop throughout this general discussion thread, starting with post #213.

This laptop cost $549.00, and then I installed a 256GB SSD which cost another $180.00, so a total cost of $729.00, got me a very fast notebook, that can handle moderate gaming as well.

Tags
gaming, gpu intensive, laptop, overheat