VGA going out..new next generation digital display interface

I'm not sure about the fine details on it besides what I read up on that website. From what I got out of that site, you need new UDI compatible connectors which could mean new video cards. DVI will be here for some time:

"UDI offers a number of performance and cost improvements over existing display standards. It also will maintain backward compatibility with DVI displays to pave the way toward completely replacing analog VGA as the PC display interface. These improvements include the added flexibility of accommodating proven high-bandwidth technology based on PCI Express and HDMI's Transition Minimized Differential Signaling (TMDS); use of a small, lower cost connector with optional locking retention; and, ongoing oversight of a working group that will actively administer and revise the UDI specification to meet changing market needs."

"For end users, UDI will provide a universal video connection from the computer host to the display, including PC and notebook monitors, HDTVs and projectors. For PC and monitor makers, UDI is intended to enable easy integration with both discrete and integrated graphics controllers, letting OEMs build computer platforms and all-digital LCD monitors that are lower in cost, easier to use and higher in bandwidth."

Back
Top Bottom