Very Weird HDD Issue?

Thanks to both of you for the wonderful advice! I will be purchasing a new HDD very soon, like I've meant to for a long time. I already have all my very important irreplaceable files on a small external hard drive, so if it goes I should be ok for now!

I have also been monitoring the number of bad sectors and the number doesn't appear to be going up, so they could be left over from when I switched operating systems awhile ago!

However, I am a very heavy computer user (crystaldisk says my HDD has 593 days of uptime, yikes!) and I may just need to invest in a solid state drive at this point.

I'll post here if it gets any worse, thank you guys very much for the advice!

Wise decision because it isn't going to get any better and where do you get the courage to put anything of any importance on a drive that appears to be failing anyway?

Wise decision because it isn't going to get any better and where do you get the courage to put anything of any importance on a drive that appears to be failing anyway?

It hasn't always been like this! Everything else seems to be working perfectly fine! But I don't wanna be the guy who ignored the warning signs; like I said, this thing has ran for 3 years now, it's bound to be giving out. But we'll see, thanks though!

3 years used to be the warranty period though today it is 2 years mostly and in my experience, Seagate drives seldom last that long as I much prefer WD drives anyway which I forgot to say here.

And you have already tested the drive and whatever software you used says it has issues. As I say hard drives are relatively cheap whereas getting stuff back off a duff hard drive is prohibitively expensive. I don't know what files you have but nothing is worth losing. Even though the number of bad sectors insn't increasing hard drives do have a nasty tendency to just stop never to work again and your is a heavily used 3 year old one. Test software is all very well but first off it isn't all that reliable and secondly test software puts a lot of strain on a hard drive during it's testing phase and a going hard drive could well be a gone hard drive after a test especially if you are going to try different testers. Also, if you can afford to, keep a couple of spare new hard drives and if your stuff is really important look at alternative back up methods and maybe a networked RAID array. Finally SSDs are okay but they can fail as well and at the moment they are not very big or at least the cheap ones aren't. I think if you are looking at backing up terabytes of data then, at the very least, a four stack networked RAID array is the way to go.

3 years used to be the warranty period though today it is 2 years mostly and in my experience, Seagate drives seldom last that long as I much prefer WD drives anyway which I forgot to say here.

I've personally only used Seagate drives to an extent, I've only used WD external drives, but I've had no issues with either! Browsing drives right now, not sure what to go with, though! Maybe I'll give a WD HDD a go this time!

You will not regret the change. Note the Black has a 5 year warranty, Red has 3 year warranty and the rest has 2 year warranty these days. There is little difference in quality in any of the label colors and I generally use Blue label.

And you have already tested the drive and whatever software you used says it has issues. As I say hard drives are relatively cheap whereas getting stuff back off a duff hard drive is prohibitively expensive. I don't know what files you have but nothing is worth losing. Even though the number of bad sectors insn't increasing hard drives do have a nasty tendency to just stop never to work again and your is a heavily used 3 year old one. Test software is all very well but first off it isn't all that reliable and secondly test software puts a lot of strain on a hard drive during it's testing phase and a going hard drive could well be a gone hard drive after a test especially if you are going to try different testers. Also, if you can afford to, keep a couple of spare new hard drives and if your stuff is really important look at alternative back up methods and maybe a networked RAID array. Finally SSDs are okay but they can fail as well and at the moment they are not very big or at least the cheap ones aren't. I think if you are looking at backing up terabytes of data then, at the very least, a four stack networked RAID array is the way to go.

I see where your coming from, but at a cost stand point, that may not be very feasible right now. I could at the very most do a 2 disk RAID array, but I'm not sure that would be enough. For now, I'm perfectly content with just using a single HDD and backing up to an external hard drive. However, in the future a 4-disk array may be possible! We'll have to see, but thank you for your advice!!

Also, I'm not running any hardcore testing on my HDD, just simple ones like CrystalDisk, nothing too intensive. It should be ok for now, I'm gonna take it very easy for now!

Also, a question to all of you guys; are Hitachi drives any good? Thanks!

You will not regret the change. Note the Black has a 5 year warranty, Red has 3 year warranty and the rest has 2 year warranty these days. There is little difference in quality in any of the label colors and I generally use Blue label.

---------- Post added at 02:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:25 PM ----------

Yes if I had a second choice it would be Hitachi. Samsung, Seagate and Toshiba are the bad ones imho!

I've used Seagate drives (and many other brands) since 1985 and have never had an issue with them. I have 2 Seagate 1.5TB drives that are 6 years old and still running strong and purchased 2 5TB Seagate drives earlier this year. I think if you stick with any of the name brands you should be ok. However, that doesn't change the fact that an hdd is a mechanical device and can fail at any time.

IMO, they're all pretty good these days. I don't think any of the drives I've purchased in the last 10 years have failed.

Back
Top Bottom