Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-23-2004, 01:51 PM   #1
Baseband Member

Default very strange

Whenever i right click on anything in the "my computer" window then exit the window my computer freezes. I am unable to click on anything and mush hit ctl alt del to get the task manager ( which still works fine) so i am able to restart without just turning the power off. I have reformatted my hd and am still having the problem. I'm running xp pro with service pack 1 on a dell dimension 4550 with the pentium 2.4ghz processor.

racincc84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 04:27 PM   #2
Baseband Member

Send a message via AIM to TSS_custom Send a message via Yahoo to TSS_custom

If you formatted then the hardware has a problem.

TSS_custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 08:04 PM   #3
Baseband Member

what do you think the culprit may be?
Old 08-23-2004, 08:07 PM   #4
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to athlon64fx
Default Re: very strange

what do you expect... its a dell... and lots of teh time they drop hardware alot during the build phase and it damamges it and they ship it anyway.

I worked there and my fiancee still works there.. heck hes a builder! both of us have seen people drop stuff a d while I was there I was working by the ram cabinet and they constantly were coming back for more and more ram! also they werent all properly grounded and once a system was smokin. literally.. adam just got doen building and setted it up for testing and when he hooked it up it started smokin!

so I defiatly think its a ram or HD problem. it must have an error reading from the disk and also yoru ram may be defective.
athlon64fx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 08:53 PM   #5
Baseband Member

Go into your Event Viewer (Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Click on Event Viewer) and look at the Application and System logs and see if you see any errors that may have resulted from it happening. That may let you know what is causing the error.

When I have had hard drives going bad in the past there were always some sort of hard drive errors in the event logs.
techserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 10:03 PM   #6
Baseband Member

there was an error with the source being perflib ( i have no idea what that is) and there was another one with an application hang that involves explorer. how could i go about fixing these? I find it hard to believe its a hardware problem because everything else is fine.
Old 08-24-2004, 02:05 AM   #7
Baseband Member

Send a message via AIM to buckweat420- Send a message via MSN to buckweat420- Send a message via Yahoo to buckweat420-

When u formatted did u do a low-level(zero fill format) format or a high-level(windows xp automated format) format?

Might wanna try a Low-Level Format If U need a tool to help u do this. http://www.disk-utility.com/hard-dis...el-format.html
BFG 7900 GT
2x 16MB Cache WD 320GB in Raid 0
buckweat420- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 10:18 AM   #8
In Runtime

well if you keep having problems with your harddrive maybe you shoud do a surface check to see if you have any bad clusters on your drive. ether its a hardware problem, or maybe somekind of conflicked with hardware i dont know.
BEST JD TCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 11:06 AM   #9
BSOD

if it's a pirate / counterfitet version of xp theni suggest that you get a legal operating system - the illigeal ones have a lot of problems and dont work properley with windows update

Masahiro is offline   Reply With Quote