A Very Important Choice for Me, Please Help Me Out...

Tenshanhan

Beta member
Alright guys, this is another one of those "Ah, I'm incompetant, please choose my laptop for me!" threads. But wait! Before you go off running, please, appeal to your kinder side, and help a young man out a bit.

Alright, my family ain't rich, so this is going to be my Christmas/Birthday preseant, and I'm not going to be able to dump this thing out in a few years and upgrade to a new one. This baby is probably going to have to last me into University, with some upgrades here and there. I've been browsing around, doing my research here and there, and I'm pretty well versed on the Desktop side (though my knowledge is a little outdated). However, looking at all the features for these babies, it has become painfully obvious that I don't really know what I'm looking for.

First off, the most important thing, my budget: $1500 Canadian. Alongside that, I'm going to need something with an easy monthly payment plan, and one that's not going to render my Mom's credit card unusable.

Well, now that that's out of the way, what I really need. I'm going to be lugging this thing back and forth to school (I walk, it's about a 10-minute affair), so nothing too heavy. I mean, I don't want to have to sacrifice too much performance for the sake of weight, but I also don't want to have to bust out my dust-covered free weights, either.

Wireless internet is pretty much a must

I won't be going too game crazy, it'll be a more multi-media type thing, but a few games here and there can't hurt. I play mostly MUDs these days anyway, as I can't afford any new games. *Sigh*

A bigger screen is always cool, but again, weight and price play a factor here.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. Basically, I want the same thing everyone else wants, with particular attention paid to the amount, length, and method of payments, as that is what's going to sell my Mom. So, look into your hearts, you wise tech gurus, and help a brother out. I bow to your infinite wisdom and knowledge.

(Addition: I've heard bad things about Dells (my friend spits everytime he hears the word, and he knows more about this stuff than I. I've also head good things. I'm not particularly biased against any of the makers.)

well, first of all, i see where ur going.. because you mentioned the NO GAME internest.. we can save about 1000 dollars on that thing. I live in Toronto and i've seen several ads from bestbuy, and there was a 1399 Sony Vaio laptop with all features, centrino, and 512 ddrram.

I know your friend said dells are not so "great", but if ur not planning on overclocking it (making it run faster than it should by cheating ur system) then you'll be fine..
People get upset at dell's, because they lock up all the options in BIOS (which controls ur hardware speeds etc) and they cannot overclock the damn thing.

I have a friend with a dell laptop, (not for playing games) and he is very satisifed.

If i were you, i'd hold off until BOXING DAY (YAY WOOT CANADA) until you get the laptop, as you know prices drop steeply for some products. So keep ur eyes peeled! . Besides, if you hold out until 2006, all the laptops now are gonna drop prices by a good 200 bux, they're gonna come out with more cpus and such soon enough. So If i were you, i'd wait till boxing day to say the least, then you'll find ur 1500 grandmaster sexy.

Back
Top Bottom