VAIO laptop startup problem

Ballroom Heros

Beta member
I have an older Sony VAIO laptop with XP, model number PCG-9B3L. The other night it just died on me. I thought maybe it had come unplugged and the battery died so I checked the connections and they were fine. I tried starting it again and it ran for about 10 seconds and got to the loading screen and died again. I thought battery, but it does the same thing when I take the battery out and run just on A/C power so it's not an external power issue. Anyone have and clue which way to point me on this one? Thanks - Matt

I think I know what the problem is. This is ruling out that you have a virus and such. It's definitely a power issue and may not be related to your batter or power adapter. Those may be fine. I think there might be a bad or loose power connection from within the laptop on the motherboard, or bad power supply unit. If your laptop is still under warranty, have Sony fix it. Otherwise, you can weigh the option of the cost to get it repaired from the manufacturer and a new laptop.

Well I tried it again just now and now when the battery is out and it's just running on the power supply the light will come on for about a second and it shuts off, so it makes sense that it's a bad connection internally. I've tried holding the power cord at different angles but no luck. It's not under warranty so I may just pull it apart myself. I was planning on buying a new laptop in the beginning of june and was hoping this one would hold out but I may have to change those plans.

The reason why I stated what I said was because I went through that exact same problem with other laptops. It would randomly shut down and eventually got worse to the point where it would just shut down right after 5-10 seconds during boot up.

You can try to reformat it to see if it's really infected by a virus.

Yeah actually before this happened, when I'd be running on battery for more than about 30 mins, it would just shut down and wouldn't startup unless I plugged it back in. You're saying most likely a bad connection somewhere but don't rule out a virus.

Have you tried a different power supply cord ? it could be that the one you have may be faulty.

Back
Top Bottom