v bullitin start up q"s

Then whatever computer/laptop you already have will be fine. Nothing special is needed to simply run the website. I should know, I ran 3. It's easiest if you have 8Gbs of DDR3 ram too, it just might make browsing it go a little smoother, ( if you don't have 8Gbs already )

VB 5 is a joke. It's got way too many issues. The version here at CF is VB3. I run VB4 at my place. Either one will server you well.

First thing before you buy anything to run it on is ask your ISP if it's ok. If you're going to spend the money on VB then you'd expect to have some volume traffic. Your ISP's TOS may not allow that. You would also need to get a fixed IP address from your ISP. Then purchase a domain name from some one like GoDaddy.

If you get the green light from your ISP, you need to get something like WAMP to host VB on. It's simple to set up. WampServer, la plate-forme de développement Web sous Windows - Apache, MySQL, PHP
The box you'll need would be something like an i3 with at least 4 gigs of ram. An SSD would be fast but have a real short life span as it would be getting clobbered all the time. A good WD red would be better. Those are meant for lots of activity over long periods of time. I have 2 in my NAS box and they take a beating.

WAMP will run on win7 just fine. Not sure about w10.

Do check with your ISP first. If you violate the TOS they can and most likely will drop your service.

Then any computer that can get on line will work. I run mine off of a tablet some times.

Thanks guys..i should have exsplained my self a little better.I am looking into seting up a v board with like 14 Forums small compared most v board i 've seen what will be required?cost?can some company run the server for a fee?why would (do)sites ask for sponsorship for sections.

You'll need a webserver somewhere that can host the site. You can build one yourself and run it at home if want. Seti's recommendation above would be fine for starting out:
The box you'll need would be something like an i3 with at least 4 gigs of ram. An SSD would be fast but have a real short life span as it would be getting clobbered all the time. A good WD red would be better.
You'll also need a domain name. At home you'll most likely have a dynamic changing IP address, so you can register with noip.com which includes a dynamic updater, so your website is still reachable when your ISP changes the IP. (Or you can ask your ISP to give you a static IP address, but that costs money)

If you want to avoid running your own server, just sign up somewhere that will host it for you. Godaddy offers hosting starting at 4.99 per month and has decent support.

Back
Top Bottom