Using Unsupported CPU in Motherboard

Yeah, I checked up into that.... The best CPU in the Pentium D family (Extreme 965) runs I believe 1066 MHz and 95w..... One of the intel Pentium dual cores runs the same.... Should I shoot for a quad core if it falls into the power and bus benchmarks?

Personally, I wouldn't. You can try and let us know how you make out, you might get lucky, Worst case is it doesn't work.

Stick the the "D" version. Better safe than sorry.

Posted in you other thread to say that i doubt very much that a Core 2 Duo etc will work in one of them OEM boards. Also said in your other thread the rough differences between Pentium Dual Core (Pentium 4 really) and a Pentium D.

I had a old E6400 i was tempted to put in the wifes Motherboard before i got the Pentium D she runs now. And after reading from someone else's experience they blew either the CPU or something on the motherboard after trying it.

Manufactures state their board will take certain CPU's and also state Unsupported CPU's for a reason. In other words, try at your own risk!

I agree.... I think I'll end up getting the Pentium d extreme.... How fast does your wife's computer run with the Pentium d in it??

It's a 3GHz. Obviously gonna be no Overclocking with it as there usually isn't any way on OEM boards. But for what she uses it for. Browsing, playing Facebook games and my Son plays some CSS and does some DJ'ing on it via Virtual DJ. It does just fine. It's got Windows 7 running on it with 3GB or memory and a Nvidia 9500GT.

How bad do you think the Pentium D Dual core will bottle neck my Radeon 7750?

It will yes. Pretty much but so long as you aren't trying to play today's games such as Crysis and any game that isn't CPU intensive i.e ArmA series then you'll be fine. After all it's not going to be a gaming system these day's with anything lower than a Core 2 Duo (True Dual Core) at the least.

Personally i still only run GTX 560 and on my 3.4GHz i7 it flies. I'm not one for having all the eye-candy turned up full so long as i get decent FPS and it runs great. So on my system it's my Graphics card is the bottleneck, but i can live with that ;)

Well, I just hit a snag.... I got the computer, opened it up.... It's not the motherboard from Gateway.com..... How do I figure out what it is?

Back
Top Bottom