Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-12-2013, 05:26 PM   #1
Daemon Poster
 
YoungIT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 661
Default Using Unsupported CPU in Motherboard

Hey guys! I have a problem..... I'm getting a Gateway GT5040 from my girlfriend's dad for building their current computer, and I was wondering.... The motherboard in that slow mother will only support a handful of CPUs.... Now, I want to put an UNSUPPORTED CPU in my motherboard, now how can this be done? The CPUs supported are all Celeron D, Pentium 4, and Pentium D (can be dual core)... I want to put either an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, or an Intel Pentium Dual Core E5800
__________________

YoungIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:12 PM   #2
Golden Master
 
BK_123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 7,534
Default

If the CPU is unsupported it won't work and that's why it's like that, The best CPU would be the pentium dual core or you can look for a new motherboard that is compatible and will fit the case so that you can put the CPU in you want.
__________________

BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:21 PM   #3
Daemon Poster
 
YoungIT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 661
Default Re: Using Unsupported CPU in Motherboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK_123 View Post
If the CPU is unsupported it won't work and that's why it's like that, The best CPU would be the pentium dual core or you can look for a new motherboard that is compatible and will fit the case so that you can put the CPU in you want.
Are you completely sure? I read that if the TDB and FSB match up, then I could run a bios update and it would work... And, I don't know for sure if the Pentium Dual Core is supported.... I know for sure a Pentium D Dual Core is though :/
YoungIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:30 PM   #4
Daemon Poster
 
YoungIT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 661
Default Re: Using Unsupported CPU in Motherboard

All right, listen to this... The motherboard can support up to 95W on the CPU, and FSB of 1066! The Intel Pentium Dual Core E6600 runs 65W and 1066 FSB! Will this work with a bios update?!
YoungIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:35 PM   #5
Golden Master
 
BK_123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 7,534
Default

The CPU socket type has to match the socket type on the motherboard and be compatible.
BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:37 PM   #6
Daemon Poster
 
YoungIT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 661
Default Re: Using Unsupported CPU in Motherboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK_123 View Post
The CPU socket type has to match the socket type on the motherboard and be compatible.
The Intel Pentium Dual Core E6600 is LGA 775.... The Motherboard is an LGA 775 is well.... I've done my homework
YoungIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:50 AM   #7
Golden Master
 
BK_123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 7,534
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungIT View Post

The Intel Pentium Dual Core E6600 is LGA 775.... The Motherboard is an LGA 775 is well.... I've done my homework
Just because its an LGA 775 doesn't mean it will be completely compatible and other members will tell you that, If the CPU is LGA 775 and is not compatible with that motherboard you will land yourself in hot water and possibly kill the CPU and motherboard if you attempt to try it..
BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:53 AM   #8
Daemon Poster
 
YoungIT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 661
Default Re: Using Unsupported CPU in Motherboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK_123 View Post
Just because its an LGA 775 doesn't mean it will be completely compatible and other members will tell you that, If the CPU is LGA 775 and is not compatible with that motherboard you will land yourself in hot water and possibly kill the CPU and motherboard if you attempt to try it..
You act like I'm stupid.... I said earlier "I'm pretty sure if the FSB and TDB match up than the CPU can run on the motherboard with a bios update"
YoungIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:56 AM   #9
Golden Master
 
BK_123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 7,534
Default

Otherwise look at getting a new and better motherboard that will support Intel Core Duo 2..
BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:25 AM   #10
Fully Optimized
 
OhSnapWord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 1,853
Default Re: Using Unsupported CPU in Motherboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungIT View Post
You act like I'm stupid.... I said earlier "I'm pretty sure if the FSB and TDB match up than the CPU can run on the motherboard with a bios update"
It might work. It might not. Usually a CPU is unsuppported for a reason such as having different power requirements, which a BIOS update might not fix.
__________________

__________________
FX-8350 @ 4.7 cooled by H80, 32GB Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 2133, Asus Sabertooth 990FX, 2x Radeon HD 7850 2GB in X-fire, 500GB Samsung 850 Evo, 4TB Seagate, 3TB WD Black, 2x 1TB WD RED in RAID 0
OhSnapWord is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0