Using others connection with wireless router

iplay4fun87

Baseband Member
My neighbor told me i could use his connection. So i bought a wireless router and plugged it into my computer. Is it possible to get his connection this way or do i need the wireless card as well?

So a wireless router can only send signals to other wireless cards. It cant pick up signals from other wireless routers?

no, you would be recieving your neighbors wireless connection, it has nothing to do with you have a router, if oyu have a laptop that has built in 802.11 b/g, then you could get his connection if he has a wireless network setup in his house, and if he has some sort of encryption, then you would need to get that from him.

Im sorry what i said was confusing. I dont have a wireless card in my computer. I just have me wireless router hooked up to it. I bought it thinking apparently i would be able to get my neighbors connection. If not ill just buy a card and set up my own wireless connection. I have my cable downstairs but i dont want to spend the time running the wires through the wall to get it on my computer upstairs.

lol a router is made to be hooked up to an internet connection. not directly to a computer, unless you are using the computer as a gateway of sort.

*to clearify*

you cannot hook up a wireless router to your computer and get a wireless internet connection.. see below.

~~~internet~~~~>home router>computer(wired or wireless)

I also have another question that is somewhat related. When i was installing the wireless router upstairs it asked me to plug it in to my computer. I thought the point to wireless routers was so that you wouldnt have to hook it up to your computer.

with a router, you have the option of plugging into it via cat5/6 or using wireless if you have the capability to. look at the picture below, it might help you understand.

networksetup_routerhubswitch.png

thats a general setup of how it works

Alright well since i screwed everything up already i might as well just make my own. What reccondmendation would you make on a wireless card. This is the router i got CLICK HERE

Back
Top Bottom