dude just plug in the harddrive you want to put in (DON'T TAKE UR OLD ONE OUT!). windows should detect it... once windows is loaded go into my computer your new Harddrive should show up as the next available letter... right click on it then format... that way u dont have to deal with the rest of the stuff.
also (Not necessary though) if you want to change the drive letters so ur HDDs are C: and D: and ur CDrom(s) are E: (and F: if you have 2):
1. Then right click on my computer
2. go to manage
3. then on the left go to storage.
4. then your gunna click disk management.
5. right click on the drive you want to change i.e. ur new HDD you put in
6. click "change drive and letter paths"
7. set it to D (you will prolly have to change ur CD drive (the one that is usind the letter D: already) to something else before u can set ur HDD as D: )
you want it to end up like this:
C:= Primary Harddrive
D:= Secondary (Storage) Harddrive
E:= the top CD drive in ur computer like a DVD or CD ROM
F: (If u have two) Like a DVD or CD Burner
DONT CHANGE YOUR PRIMARY HARDDRIVE (Should be drive C
Also i reccomend doing this before you put anything on your new one ur putting in (If you decide to do it, it wont affect anything other than the fact that it looks alittle neater)