Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 11-24-2010, 07:01 PM   #1
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to MooseMan
Question Using a 2TB Hardrive for RAID 0 backup

Hey guys I got a couple questions about the backup options for my 1.74TB RAID setup.

I've currently got 3x 640GB WD Caviar Blacks in a RAID 0 setup, and I want to be able to backup my RAID on a large drive so in the event a drive fails I wont have to reinstall everything and likely loose files.

My idea is to get a 2TB drive and setup a RAID 0+1 so that the 2TB drive is backing up the entire 1.74TB RAID 0 partition. I want to see if anyone has experience with raid 0+1 and/or 2TB drives because I want to make sure this works, and also, I am not sure how much usable space a 2TB drive yields. Finally, would a WD Caviar Green be a good drive to use as the backup drives?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: This is the hardrive I was looking at: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136514

Old 11-24-2010, 07:13 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Using a 2TB Hardrive for RAID 0 backup

As long as the backup drive is larger than the source drive, I don't foresee a problem. Just beware that the WD Green drives have had prior problems in RAID setups by dropping off of the host controller due to the power management algorithms. I haven't heard of any cases recently, so it may have been an initial firmware issue.

I run two Raptor 150-X's in RAID 0 on my main desktop, but I use a Windows Home Server system and BluRay discs for my backup solution (WHS is short term, BluRay long term).

But what you're asking about is what RAID 0+1 is mainly about, so as long as you watch what you're doing when you modify the array, it should be fine.

Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 12:17 PM   #3
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to MooseMan

Awesome thanks for your input. I'll do some searching to see if there have been recent issues with the WD Green drives in RAIDs. Do you use a RAID controller off your mobo? I am using the mobo's RAID controller and i'm not sure if it does 0+1 so I might have to look into a RAID controller as well.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:04 PM   #4
Solid State Member

I just bought 2 1TB WD Green EARS drives. I was considering getting a Raid enclosure for them. I snatched up something I thought would be cool for an external storage but turned out it was just a JBOD 2 drive enclosure. But it was Advertised as RAID array. RAID and JBOD have no business being on the same device. I don't know why in hell someone would want to keep 1 volume on several hard drives. If one goes, all the data on all the drives is gone. Why would anyone want that? Then, I thought I'd use the 2 front bays on my Gateway Case for a RAID 1 array. What a piece of crap. The HDs don't even fit in the caddy's. The screw holes don't align. So, from looking around a descent enclosure is far too spendy to make it feasible. i guess I'm back to using usb to sata enclusures- I'll just manually keep the same data on each drive. I have a nice rack mount computer case I'd like to put this Gateway computer in. I didn't want a tower computer with the pop open media drawers but I got a descent deal on the system. But, that's going to be another head ache all on it's own And, it's the only functioning desktop I have right now.
jackasspenguin is offline   Reply With Quote